11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > MMORPG Connections

Old 05-03-2012, 09:01 AM

fengzi597 has much to be proud of
Why do I play MMOs?
http://news.mmosite.com/content/c/20...ing_mmos.shtml
Quote:
The result of an overseas research themed with “Why do I play games” reveals the psychological effects such as achievements, competitions and relations acquired from the games have greater influence than game addiction. Therefore, we play MMOs to satisfy our psychological needs instead of experiencing puzzle solving or grinding.
It is obvious that most of the players play MMOs to satisfy their psychological needs. And I believe that many people play MMOs for a variety of reasons. For me, exploring a new fantasy world is a very useful way to reduce pressure, which really helps me get away from my real life. So I mostly play it for simple entertainment and seriously don’t care much about how many puzzles I can solve in a mmo. The second reason is that most of my friends play MMOs. It is a lot of fun to beat the crap out of others in pvp with friends.

Anyway why do you play MMOs?
Old 05-04-2012, 07:13 AM

Does anyone wanna share the reason you play mmos?
Old 05-04-2012, 07:03 PM
Enthusiast

TamaraLane is a cornerstone of the community TamaraLane is a cornerstone of the community TamaraLane is a cornerstone of the community
I like the escapism and fantasy and the opportunity to try things I might not in real life. In my MMO I finally took on a leadership role, something I have often been pushed towards in real life, but always shied away from. In the game I could not find a leader that I felt I could trust and depend on. So I stepped up. I figured, it is only a game, if I fail there is no real loss. I have learned a lot about leading and a lot about myself. I am less afraid of leading in real life as a result. Plus it's nice to get up in the morning and go sit at the computer and suddenly be a beautiful put together goddess, battling enemies & looking good doing it, Surrounded by hot guys when in reality I have bed head, no make up, I'm wearing my pajamas & drinking coffee.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:12 PM

teemo is a jewel in the community
I'm not exactly sure why I like them. It's probably more philosophical, than anything else.

In an mmo, you can be anything you want- and no one cares what you look like, who you are, or what you do for a living. No one cares about your financial status or your race. It is really an ultimate way to level the playing field: people who have millions of dollars are exactly the same as those who don't have money to pay rent.

I've always thought that humanity would do itself a favor by focusing on how to have fun, as opposed to focusing on things we disagree about.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:25 PM

Kaubs has much to be proud of
Great posts guys!

For me its always just been a fun and competitive place to play. I enjoy having a guild that I can take part in almost as an internet family. I love forming new relationships with people and have met many friends through MMO's.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaubs View Post
Great posts guys!

For me its always just been a fun and competitive place to play. I enjoy having a guild that I can take part in almost as an internet family. I love forming new relationships with people and have met many friends through MMO's.
Thanks. For me, I barely met new friends in MMOs.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemo View Post
In an mmo, you can be anything you want- and no one cares what you look like, who you are, or what you do for a living. No one cares about your financial status or your race.
Yep, i always feel free in a MMO.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:17 AM

Rinytinsin has much to be proud of
The social level for me. You can be what you can't or aren't IRL. Can't troll to all hell IRL hell I don't think people would understand what I was doing. You do learn things too socially especially when I got pushed into leadership. That and I think it's like a get together for nerds and gamers. You gonna give us a wedgie for playing dungeons and dragons well we will figure out how to play without leaving the house, take that stereotypical jock figure!