11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming Platforms > Nintendo (DS, GameCube, Wii)

Old 02-19-2009, 04:59 PM
Enthusiast

KaimerasPain is a jewel in the community KaimerasPain is a jewel in the community
It is tru vader, not all of what the Wii has to offer is anywhere near as in-depth as most of the other systems, but just the sheer fact that you get off ur butt and interact with others (harcore or not) in the room is enough to push casual and non gamers to be interested. Thus allowing for Nintendo to pick up a MUCH larger share of the population. If you think about it, the percentage of hardcore gamers compared to non is HUGE; and the non/casual is exactly what Nintendo was aiming at.

By getting the non gamers/casuals interested, they have defeated the largest part of the market and now all they have to focus on is getting the harcores interested in their games (the smaller part of the market). To me, this task is going to be almost impossible due to game control fuctionality, as u stated, and the interactive aspect of the system. Honestly, what HC gamer wants to have to stand up and move around to plug in 300+ hours on a game? But beyond that, Nintendo did take an approach that swallowed the largest value for them, non gamers and casual gamers- not to mention, they have breached the age barrier and now have ppl from diapers to old folks homes using their systems. Its actually quite impressive from a business/marketing standpoint and is a model that should be followed for other consoles to be more successful.

Kaimera-
Old 02-19-2009, 11:57 PM
Enthusiast

rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community
Not sure what control schemes you peeps are talking about, but for FPS games the Wii is way better than the regular consoles. I really dislike FPS games on gamepads, but playing RE4 on Wii pwned and I'm really looking forward to the Conduit.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:22 PM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvader83 View Post
While I will agree that the Nintendo systems are outselling everyone else, I don't agree that they are better than the competition. All the casual gamers that they are drawing in with their ease of use and low selling price don't realize that a good chunk of the games that they buy aren't all that decent of titles. I'm not fanboy raving for the other systems, but they aren't subject to shovelware put out by developers trying to keep the casual gamers hooked on Wii/DS(come on, playing games based on cheerleading, REALLY??). Even some of the "hardcore" games that have come out for Wii have been subject to some sloppy control schemes.
I'm not saying that Nintendo is necessarily "better" than Microsoft or Sony, just that the ratio of "good" gaming experiences I've personally had with Nintendo (particularly the DS) to the amount of money I've spent is very large.

I think it's impossible to say which gaming system is "better" because it all comes down to subjective analysis. Even review scores, the gold standard in "x game is better than y game", are subjective. Sales numbers aren't even close to being objective.

The only thing that even matters is what you like to play. Find what games you enjoy, get the system that has the most of that type of game, and play to your heart's content.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:41 AM
Guru

Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalgaidin View Post
The only thing that even matters is what you like to play. Find what games you enjoy, get the system that has the most of that type of game, and play to your heart's content.
And that's why I enjoy the 360 over other systems. The games I found to be the best fun were on 360; not necessarily titles exclusive to it, but on it just the same.

Last edited by Dvader83 : 02-21-2009 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Who is going to stop Darth Vader from editing his posts if he feels like doing so?
Old 02-21-2009, 03:22 PM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvader83 View Post
And that's why I enjoy the 360 over other systems. The games I found to be the best fun were on 360; not necessarily titles exclusive to it, but on it just the same.
That's the way it should be, but some people can't let it go at that and feel the need to justify their choice of gaming system by trashing competing systems. Very glad you aren't like that, vader .

Confession time: I used to be a Nintendo fanboy. Shameful, yes, but there was a time in my life when Nintendo could do no wrong and any console put out by any other company was crap. I think it had to do with "sour grapes" as I couldn't afford more than one console, so I appeased my ego by trying convince myself (and others) that they had made the wrong choice and I had made the right one. I wasn't missing out on anything, because the other systems weren't worth dropping a deuce on! *shudders*

Fortunately, since then I have seen the light (and by light I mean Final Fantasy migrated to the Playstation, forcing me to follow my favorite series) and am now console agnostic. It is my firm conviction that consoles do not matter, only games do. Fanboy free for upwards of 12 years! And counting!
Old 01-02-2012, 12:35 PM

Firesplitter has much to be proud of
Wii sells better because more people enjoy it.

Retro gamers love it because of old games on VC
Casual gamers because of Mario Party and Nintendogs
Hard-core gamers because of hard games on VC

There's no system that have as many games that I enjoy playing as the Wii at the moment. Maybe except for the 3DS which I also have many old classics on.