11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > Retro Gaming

Old 12-08-2009, 02:16 PM

Niteraid has set foot on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by exaes View Post
I think the worst thing about these ppl is just the fact that they refuse to even try some of the older classics like snatcher...
First off thank you for mentioning one of my favourite games in history. I think we do have a different perspective on games that the younger generation don't see. It's ever since games have become more and more cinematic. I see kids in game stores drooling over Master Chief figures, to me he's not even a good character as he has no personality yet, he wields guns, and guns are popular.

Does anyone remember when Black came out? The number of polygons on the gun was something the creators said was a feature! Since when has how good the guns look made a good game? Now, to mention a good game with a gun...Megaman. A game where you can only walk left and right, jump and shoot straight forward. I got my little cousin to play Megaman 9 and first thing he said after slating the graphics was. "How do you shoot up?". When I told him you can't he just didn't want to play and said the game was stupid. Could you imagine playing Megaman and being able to shoot upwards? Limitations in the gameplay quite often make games better. Unfortunately, features are more important than gameplay these days. Give a badass a huge gun, people will buy it. No wonder Gravity Crash is the coolest new game I've played in a while.

Sorry rant over!
Old 12-09-2009, 08:50 AM
Enthusiast

dowekeller is a cornerstone of the community dowekeller is a cornerstone of the community dowekeller is a cornerstone of the community dowekeller is a cornerstone of the community
I don't know, I'm pretty up-beat about the present and the future, I keep seeing people playing things like Wolfenstein 3D or Doom, and then in parentheses (X360) that I think the truly classic games from the past will go on living either emulated in new consoles, or coded in Flash and Java applets on peoples web-browsers.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:59 AM

Bloodysoldier is a jewel in the community Bloodysoldier is a jewel in the community
“Aug 2008” Wow such an old post, and I’ve aged quite a bit since then. I’ve been on a technology/gaming hiatus for the past seven months. Partly due to my PS3 dyeing (fan malfunction ps3 overheated and fried the motherboard (probably due to me never turning it off but I will not put myself at fault) which made me go into this hiatus) and the other part, me needing to take a break and do other things. After a few days of getting back into the swing of things I passed my time with internet browsing. Mostly on game forums, reading all the replies in every topic to reading comments on videos.( I even spent 3 days watching someone play FO3)

After doing so I think I’ve become somewhat mellow to this new age of gamers , that is till I went to a gaming tournament (Halo, Smash bros, madden, soulcaliber, and a few others) at the local college; I walked into the building they were using to host the tourney and felt a good comfortable mood, everything was great, even the twenty dollar cost to register for the small tourney did not bother me (20Bs per game <~< so halo and smash bros; say goodbye to 40 Bs) not one bit.

Well; then the tournament started and my good mood dried up in a flash. The flyer stated a friendly fun environment; I walked into teen angst/immaturity/unruly behavior trash talk central. You may pose the argument that they are youths but its age range was 15-28, and the adult gamers acted as trashy as the kids. Name calling, constant insults with vulgar language. (even in smash bros) It was repulsing to come back into my world and see this. The new generation of gamers is more vile than I last remembered. Why be called gamers anymore? More like foul mouth, punks.

Ever since gaming became the main stream “cool”, its community is being turned(or changed I’m not picky) into a cesspool of crap. Gaming feels like myspace, the geeks and internet savvy were on myspace when it started a few years later myspace becomes popular, so everyone joins it and now, it is basically dead. And everyone has moved to face book. So is gaming headed in that direction? I hope not, I hope that today’s “gamers” mature up a bit and quit acting like pompous asses but that’s just me hoping.

And on a side note sorry for the rant ish and being gone ish ^-^

edit: http://screwattack.com/videos/TGO-Episode-33-Building-A-Better-Gamer
Watch this please I agree with most of it. "Most of it"
Last edited by Bloodysoldier : 03-22-2010 at 08:30 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:38 AM

Bloodysoldier is a jewel in the community Bloodysoldier is a jewel in the community
I'd like to post this latest video brought to you by 'the escapist'.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...its/2005-Gamer