11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Hodge Podge

Old 01-21-2010, 08:28 PM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
Under Construction What's Your Zombie Plan?
Everyone knows it's going to happen. It's not a matter of if, but when the hordes of shambling corpses come knocking on your door. Some will flee, some will fight, most will die and join the ravenous dead. So what to do?

Here's the rules. The zombies in question are Romero zombies, so they're slow, extremely hostile, and tireless. A zombie will freeze solid at temperatures below 32 degrees (0 degrees Celsius). A person bitten or who gets infected blood on an open wound will lapse into coma within 6 hours, die within a further hour, then rise within a few minutes. Only headshots count when destroying a zombie. Zombies moan, and are attracted to loud noise and bright lights. Your plans should ideally allow you to survive for an extended time and hopefully rebuild some semblance of culture and society.

Here's mine:

Given my proximity to the Rocky Mountains (I live in a suburb of Denver, CO) heading west into higher altitudes would be an option. There are also several, solidly built structures that with a touch of foresight can be made easily defensible. A building would have to have at least two, but no more than 4 entrances and few windows on the ground floor.

Which direction I choose depends on a few factors. Big cities mean large populations, and Denver is a fairly big city, so the number of infected would be fairly high. The big thing is this: avoid crowds. Large numbers of people will draw large numbers of zombies. Smaller groups of one or two people have a much better chance of avoiding large swarms. So, it'll just be myself and my wife. Clothing will depend on the season. In the fall and winter, lots of thin layers, water-proof boots with thick lining, insulated gloves and head covering. If possible, I'd also find some kind of bite-resistant armor, leather-backed chain or some such.

Weapons. A hand-to-hand weapon is a must, because ammo doesn't last forever. Something heavy, with a sharp blade for cracking into some zombie skull. Guns are a must, but nothing too big. Shotguns are too messy, high-caliber guns are too loud and messy. A trusty .22 semi-auto with a large capacity magazine should do nicely.

Food would be a bit tricky, especially during the spring and summer months when the average temperature is well above freezing. Dehydrated food would be ideal, but canned food, high in calories (survival takes lots of energy), would also work. Supermarkets, distribution centers (there are several in Denver) would both be a good source of consumables, and most supermarkets have pharmacies, meaning medicine and first-aid supplies. There are also several hospitals in the area, but given that there is likely to be a lot of zombies in a hospital, I'll avoid them unless absolutely necessary.

Humanity shouldn't be discarded, so if I come across survivors I will help to the best of my ability, but not to the point that it would endanger my or my wife's survival. Besides, more people in a well-defended building means a higher chance of survival, assuming proper sanitation measures are observed.

This is just a beginning, but it should allow me to survive for some time. I hope.

Anybody else hear that moaning outside the window?
Old 01-21-2010, 11:38 PM
Savant, but with a star!

Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Sensational
Migrate south, find myself a horse and a sword and/or axe, then pillage, loot and zombie rapefest shall commence.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:10 AM
Guru

Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
If I told you my zombie plan and you became a zombie you would know it SO HAH No zombie plan for you!

Old 01-22-2010, 06:04 AM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensational View Post
Migrate south, find myself a horse and a sword and/or axe, then pillage, loot and zombie rapefest shall commence.
Ah. A version of the Norse Plan. I approve.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:55 PM

NotU is a jewel in the community
First, I load up my collection of weapons, which ranges from .22 semi-auto to 7.62 with a nice large scope, to a series of melee weapons such as my custom paired mid-length swords, including a couple compound bows and a crossbow. I also grab my lappy and as much system software as I can. I put the weapons in my ram, keeping a couple pistols out - probably 9mm's. The deagle is nice, but has too much kick to be affective in the confined space of my cab.

The truck will hold together long enough running through zombies for me to make it to a construction yard relatively close by. Being part of the crew that helped build the place, I know my way around it pretty well. I know they keep a Cat 979 there. For those unfamiliar, it's a rather large dump truck. I'm posting this on my phone, so you'll have to google your own pics.

Anyway, the grounds are secure enough for me to modify the 979 into a rolling anti-zombie fortress. I assume I'll be finding survivors along the way, so the construction yard would make for a viable base to stage raids for grocery, sports, hardware, and electronics stores for future supplies. I also know it has a series of long-range communication devices, including a ham radio (the site owner is a fanatic). It's large enough to house around 100 people, probably more.

If we out-grow it, there is a maximum security prison about 30 miles away with facilities for a couple hundred inmates. Pre-built defenses are a plus. The only concern is whether or not it is already full, be it zombies or surivors.

My Website

Old 01-22-2010, 05:41 PM
Easy Breezy~

Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Dem Send a message via Skype™ to Dem
I'd prepare a backpack with clothes, but mostly bottled water and canned food. I'd grab my bat and any other long melee weapons at my disposal. And then I'd start my plan:

Ground Rule:
Let go of assumptions.
Not much is known about zombies. They might be fast, they might be slow. They might or might not know how to handle advanced equipment like guns, or elevators. They might not or might not need food to survive....

1. Group up.
Check which of my friends in the neighbourhood is still normal. There's power in numbers, and you need somebody covering your back. Having people with special skills would also be very helpful, if you know anybody who is a car mechanic, botanist, military or medic, befriend him.

Knowing a lot about philosophy or economics is not gonna do you a lot of good.

2. Suit up
If you have weapons, great. But don't run off to gun stores. Big chance there'll be a crowd there, and perhaps panic as people start shooting. Also, the one thing worse than a zombie, is a zombie with a gun. Instead find some armor. Sport shops often have thick protective clothing used for sword sports. These will protect against scrapes and bites. PROTECT THE NECK. Now that you are protected, get armed. Long blunt objects good. Long pointy objects better. Short knives on the ankle or arm for emergencies. Also, mouth caps and goggles... Don't want any blood in your eyes or mouth

3. Stock up
Now that you have a group, are protected and armed, time to stock up. Bottles of water, and canned food only. Also candy. Candy is good. If you can find a nearby supply store which sells flashlights, good as well. Stock up on batteries as well. There are also flashlights that don't require batteries, they're a bit shittier, but in the long run might come in handy. Bring blankets as well, you'll be on the move and it might get cold at night. Also, very important, a radio.

4. Barricade up.
City = lots of people = lots of infected. Avoid forests as well. Open spaces are the best. If you can find a nice mansion with its back against a cliff, wall, river, or anything that zombies can't cross. Good. Barricade yourself. But keep watch for zombies. Electric fences are great, but don't assume electricity to run for ever without anybody at the energy plants.

5. Think ahead.
What time of the year is it? How are you on food supplies? This is where a botanist comes in handy, but knowing the basics of a home garden is an essential skill. In the coming months / years you WILL have to learn agriculture. Especially in the first few months it's going to be way too risky to go to a wal-mart every few weeks to stock up. Listen to the radio, take care of eachother, and hope for the best...
Last edited by Dem : 01-22-2010 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:26 AM
Guru

Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
I'm with Mishy. If I post my plan here, everyone could be potential zombies that would know my plan.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:41 PM
Enthusiast

CthulhuDreams is a paragon of the community CthulhuDreams is a paragon of the community CthulhuDreams is a paragon of the community CthulhuDreams is a paragon of the community
Run to my friends house whose planned this day for years now and follow everything he says.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:49 PM
Enthusiast

wastelander75 is a paragon of the community wastelander75 is a paragon of the community wastelander75 is a paragon of the community wastelander75 is a paragon of the community
rule number one: Protect the women. Especially the pretty, double D variety.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:29 AM
Guru

Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Quote:
Originally Posted by wastelander75 View Post
rule number one: Protect the women. Especially the pretty, double D variety.
Whatever floats your boat.