11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > General Gaming Discussion

Old 01-11-2010, 02:12 PM
Easy Breezy~

Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Dem Send a message via Skype™ to Dem
3D Gaming - Gadget or new standard?
For those you following the CES 2010, you'll have noticed the crazy amount of 3D gaming booths present...

After the megasuccess of Avatar it's apparently time for a push the gaming industry has been waiting for for some time. They were afraid to push for 3D gaming due to consumers only just getting used to HD. But now with the momentum of Avatar it seems now is the time to make the consumer aware of this push. And the reactions have been mixed. In some games it's nothing but a gimmick, in other games it really does add to the experience.

Personally I thought Avatar was a piece of shit, but the technique used for the movie was quite awesome and would lend itself much better to a game. The scenes in Avatar where you get to watch through the cockpit would've been much more awesome in a game than a movie.

However, this does mean that the future of gaming has us playing with glasses on... Is this something we really want? I actually wear glasses, so I'd have to wear glasses over my glasses... Which sounds like something Xzibit would say... Also I can imagine that with the shuttering and each frame throwing images at each individual eye, your eyes and brain can get tired...

When I enjoy a game, I can easily finish it in one seat. Meaning I'll play for 8 to 12 hours straight, often without break. I'm not sure if I could play that long without the peripheral on my face starting to annoy the piss out of me.

But I know a lot of people can't play / watch HD too long either, while I'm completely used to that. So maybe it's a matter of getting used to it...

At first this is obviously gonna be a gadget... Only AAA titles will probably offer it, and only as an extra. Then maybe around 2011, or even 2012 we'll see some games specifically aimed for 3D gaming, but they'll prolly be shit (similar to Wii games).

But if it can be done headache free, maybe in 2 to 3 years I'll have a nice 3DHD TV at home and I'll be playing with glasses and it will be the new standard... Who knows. But if that happens the transition will have gone hella fast, much faster than TV - Wide Screen - HD...

Is this gonna become the new standard?

What are your opinions on 3D HD gaming?

Last edited by Dem : 01-11-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:17 PM

Nidrew has much to be proud of
I am curious about it. I have a 3D monitor but do not yet have the graphics cards of the glasses kit to make it work. I think one day these guys will come up with a way to make it work withough glasses...I hope anyway. who knows it may not be possible.

PS3 Trophies
Old 01-11-2010, 03:51 PM
Easy Breezy~

Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Dem Send a message via Skype™ to Dem
3D without glasses has been made possible for some time, but then you're talking about prices of 80k~ USD. And its in developmental stage. I'm guessing it'll be at least 10 years before we see that way of 3D in a marketable form.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:48 PM
Enthusiast

dowekeller is a cornerstone of the community dowekeller is a cornerstone of the community dowekeller is a cornerstone of the community dowekeller is a cornerstone of the community
@Dem, If current tech 3D occurs, expect it much sooner than 10 years. However, if the 3D craze turns out to be just as much of a flash in the pan as it always has before, don't place any bets on seeing any 3D technologies for sale for some time.