11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > Tabletop Games

Old 09-08-2009, 08:25 AM
Guru

Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Thats even better! Thank you!

Old 09-15-2009, 07:42 PM
Enthusiast

absolutlush is a cornerstone of the community absolutlush is a cornerstone of the community absolutlush is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via AIM to absolutlush
Yeah defintely stay flexible. From my first post months ago as a noob player till now i've helped a group finish their 3.5 campaign, am the host for my new 3.5 group and joined a 4.0 group and play ddm frequently. The thing i learned the most for the DM is stay flexible because we players suck and will ruin ur beautiful story. We even make fun of his npc names.

Also don't be afraid to kill a player. It happens when it happens. My 3.5 dm wasn't out to kill us but to make us try new things instead of a boring hack n slash. It worked and then my character died in a freak death of dying doom stuff. The group rolled with it because the DM made it intersting and enhanced the story with my now animated corpse running around the mine, i might even be a minion of the Rakshasa by now if i ate my way up the food chain. Go corpse go!

Prep work and communciation are key other than that go with ur imagination!!
Old 09-16-2009, 01:29 AM

DestroyerOfWorlds is a jewel in the community DestroyerOfWorlds is a jewel in the community
You aspire to be a minion of LordXenophon?
Old 09-18-2009, 03:19 AM
Savant

LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to LordXenophon
I think he means the Rakshasa culture, not me specifically.

It is by the force of will alone I set my mind in motion.
The juice of Coffee quickens the mind.
The desk acquires a stain.
The stain becomes a warning.
It is by the force of will alone I set my mind in motion.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:48 PM

AwwHeck is a jewel in the community AwwHeck is a jewel in the community
Duo DM eh?

well..i only have actual live single DM experience and not much at that (mainly casual, everyone-is-buddies-and-thus-agress kind)

but i have ran an Internet RP based on FF10 and FF10-2
they guys wanted soemone with noknowledge of Spra to add undetermined levels of vareity and depth, that was why they asked me in..

my advice in any duo-master game/ RPG s pretty simple:
Diversify from each other but defintiely communicate

by having this duo-ran plot, and by both DMs being different in what they add you can keep your players wanting more, and more, but unless you commincate the added in stuff to the other DM, then the story can become a 'misplotted' camaign and those can make people look away from you

the communication can be as simple as all gathering and one DMing only for 30 minute with the other DM present and in ear-shot, then switching to the one who was waiting, and repeat...
that in fact, is exactly what i'd do myself...

really all the toher adivce i have, is to be frisk but stern with details, leaving some details out due to friskness allows the other DM to fill in the blank areas you left, but yet your sternness allows your players' characters to live in a concreted world, even with two perpetual 'gods'

yeah, kindaspacey advice but it's all i can think of, sorry...
Old 09-19-2009, 10:44 PM

NotU is a jewel in the community
The most important thing I learned about dming is that the rules are not the most important thing for you to remember. You can have every rule and regulation memorized, but if you are not very good at implementing them, or being creative with your players, then you are going to have games that are mediocre at best.

I am not saying rules are not important. They are, however, highly pliable and easily manipulated for campaign enjoyment. So long as you figure out the basic rules in advance, that is.

No, the most important thing to being a good dm is being able to adapt well when your players depart from script. And they will depart from script. Early and often. Unless you have built-in plot devices to prevent that.

"You turn around to leave to find the steel door shut firmly. The walls are thick and seem to contain large amounts of iron. You can spend a month digging at it and never make it through. You have no choice but to go forward." - type of thing.

A close second is to remember that it is not an 'us versus them' game. The dm does not win by forcing a team wipe. I have seen a lot of dms fall into this trap. And while I do take a certain amount of pride in having a campaign that has not been beaten in 17 years, it is not unbeatable. A dm needs to make the game tough enough to be a challenge, but not impossible. I like to make situations that seem impossible, but can be survived with a little creativity.

The rules can always be looked up or modified to fit the need. Good dms are all about player management.

Admittedly, I have not dm'ed lately, but I did play from the original white box set up through 3.5.

My Website

Old 12-12-2009, 10:12 AM

Zelu is community member of note
Wow, that Pathfinder book looks really cool. Never read a single Dragon Magazine or ever heard of Paizo. But looked up that link about it and was pretty impressed. Since there wasn't all that much info about them on their site and Wikipedia wasn't all that helpful...

Who's Paizo? Where did they come from? Why are they so cool?

P.S. Sorry not to derail the thread or anything but this thread seems to have people in it that can answer my questions.

P.P.S. Here's my bit to add to the discussion, so I don't feel completely bad about asking something off-topic.

Welcome to PnP D&D, my advice would be to cater your campaigns around your players. In the beginning give your players a common goal/enemy/task/etc. Eventually they'll get a feel for their characters and start wanting to advance themselves (or their gear) so build adventures around that. One player might want to start a business or become the leader of his merc guild, etc. Another might just want a magical fire sword of doom, cater to those goals. Just ensure they always have that inital common ground to work off of to keep them together.

Of course my particular style of DMing has always been a sandbox or freeform style which requires a good bit of improv but my players enjoy it. Since its your first time I would try and figure out what style fits your story (that's in your head). Because the style definitely depends on the DM using it. Some people suck at using one style but excel at another, whichever appeals most to you really.