11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > Retro Gaming

Old 09-26-2008, 09:27 AM
Guru

Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChangeAgent View Post
Funny that we just posted a Decades of Influence Quiz about this! (see my results in the sig)...
Uummm.... it's not in your sig.

I can remember fondly the days of gaming on the NES and having to blow the dust out of the cartridge and/or the cartridge slot on the console. It would only work if it was you doing it, never your friend.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:57 PM
gamerDNA Staff

ChangeAgent is a paragon of the community ChangeAgent is a paragon of the community ChangeAgent is a paragon of the community ChangeAgent is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to ChangeAgent Send a message via Yahoo to ChangeAgent Send a message via Skype™ to ChangeAgent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvader83 View Post
Uummm.... it's not in your sig.
Well... it use to be! I am a Warhammer fanboy now.

| VP/Products - GamerDNA.com| Founder/Creator - 360voice.com| Blogger - Trappermarkelz.com |
Old 09-27-2008, 03:00 AM

Bloodysoldier is a jewel in the community Bloodysoldier is a jewel in the community
I guess thatís life. 20 or 30 years from now, when the young generation becomes the next old generation. Theyíll be talking about the games we have now, and the new generation of gamers will scoff at them.

I donít think itís our fault that this generation of gamers has no clue, I blame it on the Frat Boys, those drunken igtts made most of the new gen total dicks.

Thatís why I pity these youngins.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:19 PM

docdeth904 has much to be proud of
Old stuffs...
I usually ignore these people.. I have nothing to be ashamed of, I just have more experience.. I enjoy the new games, even if I get beaten regularly, due mostly to slower motor reactions, but I still enjoy them, and in my opinion, that's all that counts :3
When I am told I am teh 01d sk00lz0rz, I usually reply, that I am All Schools. and I can use my past experience to beat them by guile (no, not the SF character) instead of running in and blasting everything, even though, that is much more entertaining, and the reason I get beaten regularly..

Last edited by docdeth904 : 03-02-2009 at 06:21 PM. Reason: forgot sig
Old 03-02-2009, 07:03 PM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
I guess I run with a more open crowd, because this type of thing doesn't come up at all. Everyone that knows that I'm a gamer knows I've been playing for almost 30 years and expects me to make references to Atari 2600 and C64 games every now and then. Hell, my nephew (now 17) has on more than one occasion referred to me as an "encyclopedia of games" and he wasn't being a snot when he said that. I find it odd that younger people would look down on us older gamers simply because we've played games on systems that were obsolete before they were even born. But then, I was raised to have respect for those with more experience than myself.

@docdeth904: Hail Ilpalazzo!
Old 03-10-2009, 02:28 PM

Cessation is a jewel in the community Cessation is a jewel in the community
My first gaming system was the PONG Home Entertainment System - 10 different versions of PONG in one machine.

I got a Huge upgrade in gaming systems a few years later to an Intellivision and oh how the graphics on that machine were great, not to mention later on when they introduced the voice synthesizer so we could hear people talking on certain games. (B-17 BOOoooooomber)

Oh my first home PC(type thing) the TI-99/4a and the forever joys of games like Alpiner and Hunt the Wumpus and the hours and hours of frustration/joy they would bring to me.

Upgrading to the super PC the Apple 2e forever trying to find where I put that boot disk so i could play Zork.

Signing up for my schools first computer sciences class and working on the brand new Commodore64 machines and having to go through rigorous study of the BASIC computer language and program writing.

Having some of the original "portable hand-held" video games, which looked like small versions of the standard cabinet games and were bigger than most laptops of today.

Hearing people complain about graphics/size/whatever about video games today just makes me laugh or when they talk about the old school days of video games during the time of the NES.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:50 AM

Debaser has set foot on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodysoldier View Post
I feel that the new generation of gamers has lost or never known about they're roots, they're gaming heritage. I feel like I am a stranger in this world, because every time I talk about games/consoles that are older than the SNES, I am looked at like I'm Stupid, like it doesn't even matter, I feel like a lost relic in a age where I don't belong.
And when I show the newer generation, I am laughed at "look at that thing its graphics are crap!" "who the hell would want to play that piece of junk?!" ect.
I wonder is there anyone out there that feels the same?
Who out there has consoles or games from long ago?
Can we show the new generation that we never had it this good back then, that we weren't excepted in society, as we are now.?
What has happened to RESPECT in the gaming world? Back then we did rant on other ppl after beating them or there high score, but we didn't disrespect them.

...Sigh

I don't think it's just an issue in the gaming world...I notice quite alot of young people have a general disrespect for everything. Where gaming is concerned, I think it stems from ignorance, and a lack of knowing any different. The new generation takes it all for granted...they've never known a world without the internet, PCs in every home (ok not every home but you know what I mean), cell phones you can play games on, mmo's, high-end graphics, games with cinema quality sound, etc. Instant gratification...they never had to sit for hours and code games, or wait 20 minutes for their favorite title to load up.

As is true with any type of wisdom, us older gamers can appreciate it more because we can see how far we've come, and we know how good gamers today have it compared to when we were kids playing our first games.

Personally, I take being an older gamer as a point of pride. Sure, I may be a little out of date with new tech, and maybe I can't pwn people in pvp like some of the younger gamers out there, but I was there at the beginning. Maybe I didn't have the very first game system (pong I beleive it was) but pretty close. Video games these days are a mutli billion dollar industry and growing, but I was there back in the day, when gaming came on the scene. I was playing vids at home before most of my friends even knew what a pc was. I think what made those old games so great, aside from nostalgia, is that what we lacked graphically, we made up for with our imagination. A younger gamer may see a pixellated box, shooting lines, but an older gamer will see a high speed spaceship, shooting deadly lasers at his foes. I think that's one thing gamers lack today is the imagination factor. Graphics are so good these days you don't need to "fill in the blanks"

Now that I've totally lost where I was going with all this....

Don't sweat the new generation, they can't truly appreciate where they are (in terms of gaming) because they lack the knowledge and understanding of where they're from (and in gaming terms, that's us oldschool gamers).

Either that, or I'm just talking out my ass, it is the middle of teh night after all
Old 05-13-2009, 12:16 AM

PuyoDead has set foot on a distinguished road
Just pull the "I've been doing this far longer than you" card. Or, make them feel old (in due time). I like to bring up how their precious PS3/360 graphics will look like junk in 10 years time.

But hey, that's just how it goes. Games are games. Fun is fun, regardless of its age. We have the advantage of having just as much fun with A Link to the Past as we do Fallout 3. That's the beauty of being an older gamer. You realize what makes games fun. I'm just as much of a sucker for the current generation of video games as I was back in the 80's. And i'm sure I will be 10 to 20 years from now still.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:37 AM

Bloodysoldier is a jewel in the community Bloodysoldier is a jewel in the community
True but remember when being a gamer meant that you were the out cast in school. Now everyone plays games and calls themselves gamers, and when you try to educate them on the gaming history; Its like speaking assembly code in a room full of klingons. I really just want them to respect they're roots. Because with out it there would be no main stream gaming.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:39 PM

exaes is a cornerstone of the community exaes is a cornerstone of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodysoldier View Post
True but remember when being a gamer meant that you were the out cast in school. Now everyone plays games and calls themselves gamers, and when you try to educate them on the gaming history; Its like speaking assembly code in a room full of klingons. I really just want them to respect they're roots. Because with out it there would be no main stream gaming.
I think the worst thing about these ppl is just the fact that they refuse to even try some of the older classics like snatcher or the castlevania series. yet some are usualy saying these games are bad because they are old and don't have good graphics.
i even have a friend that grew up on the NES and he's the same way. I think if a game is fun, has good gameplay and a good story then i'd rather play that then some new game with awesome graphics mediocre gameplay and no story.

- Playstationcollecting.com .. The online Playstation Collecting Community