11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > RPG/Action/Adventure

Old 09-16-2009, 07:04 AM

Kiernan is a jewel in the community
Bottlecap land mine in FO3. Jeeze that thing could do some damage. Only used it once or twice though. The metal guns picked up in the Pitt would come in second. Followed by the two flame throwers. All FO3
Old 09-17-2009, 02:41 PM

AwwHeck is a jewel in the community AwwHeck is a jewel in the community
Mine:
Well, i cant name any games, but my fave weapons have always been the following:

Flameberges: those large, large, large oversized and seemingly too heavy to lift swords most MMOs can give you.
Gauntlets: when wearing them on both hands and unleashing a flurry of martial artist punches, utter bliss.
Melee Spears: these you dont throw but they provide the ability to inflict moderate damage and to hit fast.

--either way, weapons that require both hands...but only melee, and either spear, gauntlet, or giant sword.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:28 PM

Crab-knight has much to be proud of
A flamberge is just a sword with a wavy or "flame" bladed sword

What your talking about is your standard big fucking sword
Old 09-21-2009, 08:33 AM
Guru

Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
The big, heavy two-handed swords are known as claymores.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:59 PM
Enthusiast

dowekeller is a cornerstone of the community dowekeller is a cornerstone of the community dowekeller is a cornerstone of the community dowekeller is a cornerstone of the community
Except when claymores are basket hilted broadswords or the explosive device and I don't think he's talking about realistic historically accurate two handed swords, but the ridiculously over sized phallic amplification devices one often sees that in RL would be total fail because the other guy would chop you to pieces while you tried to hoist the big M.F.er over your head for the first blow.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:15 AM

Jwallwalrus has much to be proud of
I would say the Gunblade from FF8 because it just looked Badass or any sword that Auron had in FFX, he was just a badass so anything he touched was ....badass!
Old 09-25-2009, 07:42 PM

exaes is a cornerstone of the community exaes is a cornerstone of the community
dual-wielding a pair of kukri's always looks badass i think
Old 10-12-2009, 01:35 AM

AwwHeck is a jewel in the community AwwHeck is a jewel in the community
Exclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvader83 View Post
The big, heavy two-handed swords are known as claymores.
wrong....

a claymore is a great-sword that has a larger design

think about .hack// real quick Mimiru, Blackrose and Haseo's Edge Punisher form ALL have swords that IRL are impossible to lift

Claymores are often very thin and very very long and curvy, design to bea super-fast slashing-only greatsword while not losing any attack force

flameberges however:

are your shoulder width in width and blade-tip-to-crosshandle is at least your heighth and the handle is at least 3/4ths of your arm
and: they are solid lumps of sharpened blunt-impact blades that the sharp-edge doesnt even count as over half the oomph is from how damaging just the impact is

they are too eavy to feesably lift IRL or even swing

Squall's largest/longest/heaviest Gunblade is a toothpick when compared to what i'm talking about
Old 10-12-2009, 08:39 AM
Guru

Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwwHeck View Post
wrong....

a claymore is a great-sword that has a larger design

think about .hack// real quick Mimiru, Blackrose and Haseo's Edge Punisher form ALL have swords that IRL are impossible to lift

Claymores are often very thin and very very long and curvy, design to bea super-fast slashing-only greatsword while not losing any attack force

flameberges however:

are your shoulder width in width and blade-tip-to-crosshandle is at least your heighth and the handle is at least 3/4ths of your arm
and: they are solid lumps of sharpened blunt-impact blades that the sharp-edge doesnt even count as over half the oomph is from how damaging just the impact is

they are too eavy to feesably lift IRL or even swing

Squall's largest/longest/heaviest Gunblade is a toothpick when compared to what i'm talking about
No, I'm pretty sure I'm right. Here's the definition of a claymore:

Quote:
The two-handed claymore was a large sword used in the late Medieval and Early Modern period. It was used in the constant clan warfare and border fights with the English from circa 1000 to 1700. The legendary William Wallace carried a two-handed claymore. He lived circa 1240 A.D.[citation needed] The last known battle in which it is considered to have been used in a significant number was the Battle of Killiecrankie in 1689. It was somewhat smaller than other two-handed swords of the era. The two-handed claymore seems to be an offshoot of Early Scottish medieval swords which had developed a distinctive style of a cross-hilt with downsloping arms that ended in spatulate swellings. The spatulate swellings were frequently made in a quatrefoil design.[citation needed]
The average claymore ran about 140 cm (55") in overall length, with a 13" (33 cm) grip, 42" (107 cm) blade, and a weight of approximately 5.5 lb (2.5 kg)
And this is the definition of a Flamberge:

Quote:
The term flamberge, meaning "flame blade", is an undulating blade found on both long blades and rapiers. When parrying with such a sword, unpleasant vibrations may be transmitted into the attacker's blade. These vibrations caused the blades to slow contact with each other, as additional friction was encountered with each wave.
The term flamberge was misapplied by collectors and museums to blades that are historically named flambards and flammards. This misuse continues despite recognition of the error.
So, from a historic standpoint, a Flamberge was bascially a wave-bladed sword that was about the same size as a claymore.

If we're going to use game examples, I'll use as an example the claymores from Oblivion that have a weight range of 18-24 pounds. That's almost four times the average weight of a claymore used in medieval times.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:28 AM
Enthusiast

dowekeller is a cornerstone of the community dowekeller is a cornerstone of the community dowekeller is a cornerstone of the community dowekeller is a cornerstone of the community
It should be noted that Scotsmen also called their basket-hilted strait-bladed backswords claymores, IRL swords seldom weighed over 6 lbs (and that's for great-swords). The two handed claymores were definitely not curved, nor were their blades particularly flexible nor were they particularly long as two-handers go.

I have a bit of a pet peeve about weapon nomenclature, particularly swords, best way to get my goat is to call a middle-ages arming sword a broadsword.

In short Dvader83's right, there isn't really an official word for the BFS since it hasn't been seen outside the pages of pulp-fantasy comics, TV shows and RPGs. The earliest I can remember seeing one was in old Conan comics.

BTW, second pet peeve, katana fan-boys who think they were the best swords EVAR!