11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > Tabletop Games

Old 09-18-2009, 06:11 PM

AwwHeck is a jewel in the community AwwHeck is a jewel in the community
i have a few questions about DM ettiquete:

Is is considered kind or rude for the DM to play as a PC along with his gamemates?
(my group is usually myself and two other, hecne i play to add an extra and useful chacarter to the roster)

Also, provided he allows everyone, is it rude of him to allow players more than one PC (say max of 2) in a small group, like 3 or 4 tops?
(my usual group is me, my GF and my bdudy, so we're kinda used to this)

And finally, is it common DM ettiquete to tell everyone to shut their cellphones off when they are playing?
(i ask because i have a ride who demand my cellphone{and ringtone} be on at all times, ICE)

this info will help me out, as i'm hoping to widen my campaign to a few of my other buddies
Old 09-19-2009, 12:59 AM

BiggusDickus has set foot on a distinguished road
A DM should never play as a PC, but having an NPC follow you around is fine. If your group is too small, he should let you hire thugs instead.

More than one PC is very bad for roleplay, but fine for wargame play.

I've never had to tell anyone to shut off their phones, but then my players don't have much phone traffic and are polite enough to go out to the balcony if they have to take a call. Talking on the phone during the game is very rude.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
A DM should never play as a PC, but having an NPC follow you around is fine. If your group is too small, he should let you hire thugs instead.
Well, in our case, It was a triple-end mutual agreement(i now see i accdientally left that tibdbit out a-oops) and we're as far as to where we can add others but same timely we dont need to

Quote:
More than one PC is very bad for roleplay, but fine for wargame play.
Usual-size Roleplay, yeah, but capped at two, and as mothing more than an available option in a small group (3 or 4 people(inlducing DM) max) is how this idea of mine will only ever be used...originally i intended it only to 'fair things out' with other while i am PCing as i am DMimg, then we realized we needed one more due to lack of healing ability, so i brought in a cleric, which i suck at using myself...(again, the only way it was intended was as an option for players to even out balance of power through a weird way, and to allow us t 'bolster ranks' an retain cotnrol)

Quote:
I've never had to tell anyone to shut off their phones, but then my players don't have much phone traffic and are polite enough to go out to the balcony if they have to take a call. Talking on the phone during the game is very rude.
Well, we dont ahve any balconies in any of our three gaming locations, nor did the other two groups i wnet a played with in the past but i think get what your saying...and that is the DM shouldnt do it but if a phone does ring, the owner should leave the table to answer the call if important

((to be honest, that last one actually happened, i went to my fourth ever game(second DM, overcontroller i quit afterwards) and the DM said 'all phones dead now, i wanna see 'em be shut off' annoyed me as my ride demands it be on for ICE))

anyays i think i got my asnwers:
and in short they are:
1 & 2, casual, close buddies-who-agree games it's good etiquette, provided all agree, bigger, higher-end width games it's bad.
3 - depends upon how you view it, can be rude, but then so can the interruption the phone call provides

this does help, i apreciate it,

so what i'll do is i'll keep my trio-camapaign going but start a newer one with more grounded rules for wider-amount of players
((i will use a diff plot as well, to spice things up...))
Old 09-19-2009, 05:11 PM

NotU is a jewel in the community
Is is considered kind or rude for the DM to play as a PC along with his gamemates?
(my group is usually myself and two other, hecne i play to add an extra and useful chacarter to the roster)

There are 2 reasons why I might put a npc into a party with players as a dm.

1: If the players are inexperienced or have never played with me before, I might put a npc with the group to help give them hints about my not-so-straightforward campaign methods.

2: If there are not enough players in the group to cover all the abilities they will need for the campaign.

Also, provided he allows everyone, is it rude of him to allow players more than one PC (say max of 2) in a small group, like 3 or 4 tops?

Again, this is situational. I do not usually allow it, but if a player has demonstrated that they are capable, and there is a need for more characters than players, I might. More often than not, though, I will use a npc instead.

And finally, is it common DM ettiquete to tell everyone to shut their cellphones off when they are playing?
(i ask because i have a ride who demand my cellphone{and ringtone} be on at all times, ICE)

This one is pretty iffy. I do ask that they are at least on silent/vibrate. If there is some reason why they cannot, we can work around it.

My Website

Old 09-19-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:

There are 2 reasons why I might put a npc into a party with players as a dm.

1: If the players are inexperienced or have never played with me before, I might put a npc with the group to help give them hints about my not-so-straightforward campaign methods.

2: If there are not enough players in the group to cover all the abilities they will need for the campaign.
Your second reason is exactly why i added myself into the mix...after all, a tag-team of a Monk and a Cleric (regardless of race) doesnt really cover much, so i added my elven fighter for a bit more variety

i assume you say it'd count as an NPC then huh? that is what i thought as well...

Quote:

Again, this is situational. I do not usually allow it, but if a player has demonstrated that they are capable, and there is a need for more characters than players, I might. More often than not, though, I will use a npc instead.
Hmm well, my GF buddy and i are all capable, (more than) of doing mutli-unit RP, of course net-wisely i cant prove that, but the way we pull it off is we use character sheets and 'bio sheet's - a sheet made to describe the differing charas we use complete to name, hairstyle, eye color etc... with the Player's name, (and PC's turn no.) up-top to show when to use etc...

Quote:

This one is pretty iffy. I do ask that they are at least on silent/vibrate. If there is some reason why they cannot, we can work around it.
thats the thing with me, th have trouble with, my ride DEMANDS the ringtone to be on, seeing as all three of us have loud booming and carrying voices, and as i get easily excited, i'd not feel the vibrate much if at all...has happened several times
i was just curious cause one DM i had requested they bee off no matter what and to me, that was rude since i had explained to him i'd be leaving early before we even sat down to begin...and my ride would be calling my cell phone

well, i've got my basic answers and i thank you all for them,
i wont use 1&2 except casually, rest assured, and 3 was mere opinion, thanks all...