11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 02-09-2007, 05:47 PM
Voice of Reason

Cleric is a cornerstone of the community Cleric is a cornerstone of the community Cleric is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via Skype™ to Cleric
ATI RADEON X1950 PRO (256MB) - Will It Last?
About how long will this card last me? 2 years or so?

I'm also wondering when you guys think Pixel Shader 4.0 will rear it's ugly head and force us to pay $500 to get the best top-knotch video card.

Old 02-09-2007, 10:56 PM

Droniac has set foot on a distinguished road
Actually a Pixel Shader 4.0 card only costs about 380 right now. Not all that expensive considering that there's only 1 generation of them, from (the overpricing company) Nvidia, without any competition just yet.
I think it'll take at least 4 years - probably more - before pixel shader 4 becomes mandatory, because pixel shader 3 still isn't mandatory at all - unless you actually like tom clancy/splinter cell games...

As for how long that card will last. Probably 1-2 years longer than mine (x800 pro). So roughly 3-4 years... if you don't mind turning down settings a bit in a couple of years time.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:14 AM

DemiGod has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to DemiGod
I'm still using a 9200
Old 02-11-2007, 07:50 PM
Voice of Reason

Cleric is a cornerstone of the community Cleric is a cornerstone of the community Cleric is a cornerstone of the community
Sounds good. It was a good buy. Got it at Best Buy for about $250.

Old 02-15-2007, 05:34 AM
Enthusiast

PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community
With the games that are coming out later this year you'll need a 1Gig Video Card, otherwise you'll have to turn the texture settings down alot.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:01 PM
Voice of Reason

Meh.

I have a 3.0 GHz Pentium IV and 2 gigs of RAM on my desktop... I really hate turning down graphics. >.<

Old 03-29-2007, 06:28 AM
Infamous

Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleric View Post
About how long will this card last me? 2 years or so?

I'm also wondering when you guys think Pixel Shader 4.0 will rear it's ugly head and force us to pay $500 to get the best top-knotch video card.
I wouldn't worry so much about pixel shaders, as they're developing new algorithms for lighting (the same ones used for the CGI in the new TMNT movie) that are easily supported on modern machines. It also allows for reflections of reflections, something unprecedented until now. The name of the technique escapes me at the moment, but it shows great potential for future realism in gaming and media.

"[That] Coming from a guy who more or less spawn camps a web forum. . ." -- tekhedd