11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > General Gaming Discussion

Old 08-21-2009, 01:07 AM
Enthusiast

Bonemane is a jewel in the community Bonemane is a jewel in the community
Send a message via AIM to Bonemane Send a message via MSN to Bonemane Send a message via Yahoo to Bonemane Send a message via Skype™ to Bonemane
I saw someone played Second Life and it got me thinking about the rip-offs happening in casual gaming. I think its Second Life or some other "real life based mmorpg" that actually charges you the real life price for in-game items.

So say you wanted to buy a piece of furniture like this http://www.everythingfurniture.com/c...armoire-1.html for your in-game house. You would actually have to pay $2,000 for it. And from what I seen, there were actually alot of people playing the game and spending huge amounts of cash. What IS the world coming to?

Old 08-21-2009, 03:25 AM
Enthusiast

jimothyjim is community member of note
There are people that make an actual living, as in real life money, just from selling virtual clothes and stuff on Second Life. That's what I heard anyway.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:04 AM
Enthusiast

dowekeller is a cornerstone of the community dowekeller is a cornerstone of the community dowekeller is a cornerstone of the community dowekeller is a cornerstone of the community
I wouldn't know, I'm a homeless penniless pauper in SL, and that's just a hair too much realism for me.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:07 PM
Savant

LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to LordXenophon
That's not what prices are like in Second Life. You're lucky if you can get L$360 for a sofa, which is equivalent to about US$1.

There's not very many people making a real-life living in SL, either. The ratio is about the same as the real life ratio of super rich people to normal people. The only people making that kind of money are the ones selling something that just about everyone wants to have. Sine Wave dances, AubreTEC weapons, Chimaera dance machines, and JEVN vending machines, for example.

Most people's products, such as Svoboda's all-prim outfits, only target certain people and don't sell nearly well enough to make a real life living off of them.

In between these are a few people who's products sell steadily to large numbers of people, but are not things which everyone thinks they need, and these people can count Second Life as a good suplement to their income. They don't make enough to pay their rent.

Most of the people who make a living in Second Life are doing something else besides selling items. There used to be a lot of gambling, for example. There's still a thriving sex industry. Some DJ's make a decent living in SL night clubs. Several magazines are being published in-world. Land rental and ad-space rental are thriving and lucrative industries. You might even be lucky enough to get a job at a major corporation as their in-world liason.

It is by the force of will alone I set my mind in motion.
The juice of Coffee quickens the mind.
The desk acquires a stain.
The stain becomes a warning.
It is by the force of will alone I set my mind in motion.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:57 AM
Enthusiast

jimothyjim is community member of note
I think the guy I heard about that was making a living was an ingame landlord renting space out.
Old 09-05-2009, 04:29 AM

KatrinaTheLamia is a jewel in the community KatrinaTheLamia is a jewel in the community
Ah, Shovelware (that is the term I apply to much of what gets called "Casual" these days)

I really have no desire to buy clothes for some in game avatar. Which is part of why I am not on Gaia Online--or most of those other sites like that. Like I am still too busy struggling by IRL.

With multiple system releases: yes, those are good. Look at how awesome Megaman 9 did. The issue at this point becomes, many console developers start to ask, "well why are people going to buy my system". While games are a good deciding factor, there are many others that they tend to fail to look at. Price for one. Quality of hardware--not just in capabilities, but how long will it last. Ease of use is another important one.

Now somebody mentioned My Pokemon Ranch. When that came out, it was generally not noted to be a game--but a tool. Think of it like what Pokemon Box was for the Gamecube.

As per pricing of downloadable games. Most of the highest I tend to pay for downloadable content on my Wii for a game is 10$USD. Rare occasions I'll pay more. More often, I'll look for something good that is less.

As per the price. There is also a psychological factor in raising the price to things. It makes it worth more. Regardless of quality. Most people, when they see something higher priced, they are going to respect it more.

Unless the are wogs.