11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 08-27-2009, 08:43 AM
Guru

Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Baldur's Gate Installation Problems
Ok this is for the original game

When i attempt to install it via the Auto play the menu comes up, i hti install and it freezes for about 5 minutes then crashes.

I try the good old explroe way on the cd but when i right click the cd in my disc drive the computer freezes for logner than i have waited (10 Minutes or so)

Anyone got any ideas why?

Old 08-27-2009, 10:25 AM
Savant

Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Hagan
Explore the CD, find the install executable, right click and properties.
Under one of the tabs is the compatibility drop down menu, set it to windows 98.

If that doesn't work, Use the windows options to see all files, go back into the CD and just copy the lot to your Hard Drive manually, and install from there (Remembering to repeat the above stops on the copied files).

Hope that helps.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:29 PM

DistractXfer has much to be proud of
if on vista try right clicking the exe file and select run as administrator.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:44 PM
Enthusiast

dowekeller is a cornerstone of the community dowekeller is a cornerstone of the community dowekeller is a cornerstone of the community dowekeller is a cornerstone of the community
I don't want to be a negative nancy here, but could the CD be scratched? If part of the files were unreadable, that would cause both problems.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:13 PM

DarthShadows is a paragon of the community DarthShadows is a paragon of the community DarthShadows is a paragon of the community DarthShadows is a paragon of the community DarthShadows is a paragon of the community
It's probably your internet connection timing out the download. It doesn't just install everything from disk. It installs a downloader, which then downloads the rest of the game.

See if NCSoft has a patch download you can use without using the updater. You can download it from a faster connection, or at least possibly get around forcible disconnects.

If not, find a friend who has successfully downloaded the latest version, copy the files to a memory stick or CD, then take it home and copy it over your install. Then delete the checksum file (it's actually named Checksum) and run the game. It should verify all the files in the folder, figure out you have almost everything, and get the game running with just a couple minutes of updating your registry and log files.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:36 AM
Guru

Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagan View Post
Explore the CD, find the install executable, right click and properties.
Under one of the tabs is the compatibility drop down menu, set it to windows 98.

If that doesn't work, Use the windows options to see all files, go back into the CD and just copy the lot to your Hard Drive manually, and install from there (Remembering to repeat the above stops on the copied files).

Hope that helps.
Thats what i was trying to say my computer freezes when i attempt to right click on the cd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthShadows View Post
It's probably your internet connection timing out the download. It doesn't just install everything from disk. It installs a downloader, which then downloads the rest of the game.

See if NCSoft has a patch download you can use without using the updater. You can download it from a faster connection, or at least possibly get around forcible disconnects.

If not, find a friend who has successfully downloaded the latest version, copy the files to a memory stick or CD, then take it home and copy it over your install. Then delete the checksum file (it's actually named Checksum) and run the game. It should verify all the files in the folder, figure out you have almost everything, and get the game running with just a couple minutes of updating your registry and log files.
your telling me my internet is dropping out so that makes my computer freeze up? that makes no sense also my itnernet can't be dropping out since Firefox works fine whilst the "download" is happening

Old 08-28-2009, 06:42 PM
Enthusiast

rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community
Your system thinks the game is too old and wants something new. Try Dragon's Age?
Old 08-29-2009, 12:57 AM

DestroyerOfWorlds is a jewel in the community DestroyerOfWorlds is a jewel in the community
The automatic downloaders NCSoft uses aren't nearly as well scripted as Firefox.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:04 AM
Guru

I refuse to let go of my BG! *cuddles his game* NOO!!!!!

Old 08-29-2009, 07:10 AM

n3rd is a jewel in the community n3rd is a jewel in the community
Send a message via ICQ to n3rd
you COULD try windows xp mode... http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir.../download.aspx

i found it very useful for the old stuff

Oh, just saw it's only for W7 .. :|

Also, if you own the CD and can't get it running because of scratches, just DL the game and use your key.. nothing illegal there...