11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > FPS Connections

Old 08-19-2009, 08:45 AM

sm4780 has much to be proud of
New member asks: Where is this "Discovery Engine" and your picks for games like COD?
Just joined GameDNA yesterday. I beg your leniency. I haven't bought any games in like five or six years (except for COD), so I'm totally out of touch. That's why I need your help. I have a few questions for you guys:
1) I came here because I did a Google search for "video game recommendation engine," which led me to this site. But I can't find GameDNA's so-called "Discovery Engine" after some searching. Where on the site is it? I'm interested in a link, not blah, blah, blah (such as "click here" because the other suggestions on your blog didn't get me there).
2) Here's why I came here in the first place. My fave game is Call of Duty. I want to buy other kickass FPS games--what are your suggestions, GameDNA members? if any of you can give me suggestions for games as cool as COD, I'd be eternally grateful. Maybe you can beat the dudes at the local GameStop and GameSpot who gave me these suggestions. Hegemonia, Battlefield 2142 and Brothers in Arms All good games, but IMO not up to par with the COD series.
3) This is going to sound corny, but I also luuuuv "Star Wars Rogue Squadron 3D" (yes, the game from like 1998--did I mention I was totally out of touch?) and "Master of the Skies: The Red Ace" from the year 2000 (are any of the "Red Ace" sequels any good?). Any recommendations of games where you can fly around and bomb and shoot things? It doesn't have to be Star Wars or other science fiction settings. For example, I love the scene in COD Modern Warfare called "Death From Above." I just love flying around and nailin' stuff. I must have been a "flying ace" or dogfighter in a previous life!

I have a Wii but prefer playing games on my PC. So I would like recommendations for games in the PC format..., unless I get good arguments to buy another game system...,
Old 08-19-2009, 09:23 AM
Guru

Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
To answer your first question: If you go to the top of the page, to where it says 'manage', and hover over it you'll get a drop down menu. Go to where it says your games and click on add new. You'll be able to add any game you own/played. After adding the game, you'll get suggestions for games similar to the one you just added. Those suggestions should help answer your other questions.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:23 AM

DVader83: Thank you for your help. Your suggestion worked. Do you suggest any games along the lines of COD?
Old 08-20-2009, 09:29 AM
Guru

Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
I've heard that Team Fortress 2 is a good game similar to CoD. I think it is sold as a stand alone PC title, or you can get it as part of The Orange Box, which contains TF 2, Half-Life 2 + Ep. 1 & 2, and Portal for around $40 US.

Also, if you haven't yet, check out The Conduit for Wii. Have heard that is supposed to be a good title.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:26 AM

Thanks again, Dvader83. I read the reviews and just ordered The Orange Box. Thanks for your great suggestions and your help.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:46 AM
Enthusiast

echo65 is a paragon of the community echo65 is a paragon of the community echo65 is a paragon of the community echo65 is a paragon of the community
I would never recommend this game for purchase, as it is very much a "B" game, but if you have a chance to rent or borrow Soldier of Fortune: Payback I'd go for it. Never got to play the MP, but weapons and feel to the game will somewhat remind you of CoD with it's weapon customization. Like I said, not a great game, but just throwing out ideas you may not have heard about.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:06 AM

Holty has much to be proud of
I'd say if you play with the health setting low in CoD, such as in Hardcore mode, you will probably not like Team Fortress 2, although the team based part of the game is quite good, the combat will not be up to par with CoD. Of course I would have to assume you know of or have played the MoH series, that's Medal of Honour? If not you should check them out, they are not as good as CoD but quite close in style of play.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:39 AM

Hey Echo65 & Holty: Thanks, guys. That's what I came here for--suggestions from gamers who have experience playing a lot of FPS. Thanks!
Old 08-24-2009, 07:52 AM

OwnageShot has much to be proud of
You should get Counter-Strike: Source & other Valve games like Left 4 Dead.