11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > Music Games

Old 02-08-2009, 12:46 AM
Enthusiast

Ysgrublaidd has set foot on a distinguished road
Every time I see a topic that wants to compare playing a music game with playing a real music instrument I think: Why the need to compare?

I mean... why don't you see topics that compare snowboard games with real snowboarding? Or racing games with real racing?

A game is a game... not the real thing... so what's better? If you only like games... than the game... if you really want to learn something then do the real thing. And if you think you'll learn the real thing with a game... well... then maybe your a little stupid.

For me: I like both. I play Guitar Hero 2, Guitar Hero On tour, Donkey Konga 1 and 2... and some more which don't come up at this moment. I also play drums, guitar and flute for real, and I like that as well. But I can't compare it... Because the first ones are games and not real... and the last ones I can't see as games.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:00 PM
Innovative

tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via ICQ to tekhedd Send a message via AIM to tekhedd Send a message via Yahoo to tekhedd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ysgrublaidd View Post
Every time I see a topic that wants to compare playing a music game with playing a real music instrument I think: Why the need to compare?
It seems to me that mostly nonmusicians want to make this comparison. Maybe this is because when you play a Guitar Hero game, you're pretending to be a musician. You visualize yourself as a "real" musician and wonder if it's similar. There's nothing bad about that, of course. I mean, it's a game. That's cool.

In contrast, you don't stand on stage rocking out for a roomful of drunk, dancing girls wishing you were at home twitching a paddle. Trust me on this.

-- We're not the crazy ones! --
Old 02-10-2009, 12:21 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekhedd
You visualize yourself as a "real" musician and wonder if it's similar.
All right, lets say you've never driven a real car and your playing a racing game... would you than really think that by playing that driving game you also can drive a real car? If yes, then please tell me when and were your going too drive a car... So I can keep away of there.

Most people can imagine that a game is not like the real thing. And, in my humble opinion, this is also the case with music-games. But still... people don't compare race games with really driving a car... but do want to compare music-games with playing real instruments. How many people would say: Don't play racing games but drive a real car?
Old 02-10-2009, 01:29 AM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
Quote:
All right, lets say you've never driven a real car and your playing a racing game... would you than really think that by playing that driving game you also can drive a real car? If yes, then please tell me when and were your going too drive a car... So I can keep away of there.

Most people can imagine that a game is not like the real thing. And, in my humble opinion, this is also the case with music-games. But still... people don't compare race games with really driving a car... but do want to compare music-games with playing real instruments. How many people would say: Don't play racing games but drive a real car?
Well, Jack Thompson says that FPSs train people to kill, so...

In all seriousness, I have not encountered any situation in real life that was made easier by any skill I may have gained by playing games. I think the two are, and should be kept, separate. Games are games, real life is real life. Playing Guitar Hero doesn't mean you can play the guitar. And playing the guitar doesn't mean you're going to excel at Guitar Hero. Aside from beat and tempo, they're two different skill sets. Although if one inspires you to try the other, then great! You've just made your world a little bit bigger.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:06 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalgaidin View Post
Well, Jack Thompson says that FPSs train people to kill, so...
And we all believe him. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalgaidin View Post
In all seriousness, I have not encountered any situation in real life that was made easier by any skill I may have gained by playing games. I think the two are, and should be kept, separate. Games are games, real life is real life. Playing Guitar Hero doesn't mean you can play the guitar. And playing the guitar doesn't mean you're going to excel at Guitar Hero. Aside from beat and tempo, they're two different skill sets. Although if one inspires you to try the other, then great! You've just made your world a little bit bigger.
I couldn't have said it better.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:51 PM
Innovative

tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via ICQ to tekhedd Send a message via AIM to tekhedd Send a message via Yahoo to tekhedd
Quote:
All right, lets say you've never driven a real car and your playing a racing game... would you than really think that by playing that driving game you also can drive a real car?
Well, no, of course it doesn't make any sense. But the rock and roll dream is powerful.

I think the FPS analogy is better. With the US armed forces using a computer game as a recruiting tool, it's pretty clear that imagination is powerful enough to overcome logic at least a significant part of the time.

-- We're not the crazy ones! --
Old 07-28-2009, 04:28 AM

SwordFish95 is a jewel in the community
Playing GH and RB inspired me to go out and buy an electric guitar. This summer I've been teaching myself, using online resources. When I play a music game I know it's not like the real thing, except for drums which is pretty similar. Playing the songs in a game made me pay attention to the music more closely than I would if I was just listening to it.