11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > gamerDNA.com > GamerDNA Life

Old 02-02-2007, 05:53 PM

Lishal has much to be proud of
Well I tend to watch TV or listen to music only when im doing something tedious ingame...so long as the games interesting i just play. As for the TV comment the only games ive ever known that had their own TV programs were Myth of Soma and Legend of Mir2 (and the shows were probably better than the games)
Old 02-02-2007, 06:12 PM
The Pwn Ranger

Charbroil has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Charbroil Send a message via MSN to Charbroil Send a message via Yahoo to Charbroil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lishal View Post
Well I tend to watch TV or listen to music only when im doing something tedious ingame...so long as the games interesting i just play. As for the TV comment the only games ive ever known that had their own TV programs were Myth of Soma and Legend of Mir2 (and the shows were probably better than the games)
/agree... I follow pretty much the same criteria... anything that requires an ounce of focus makes me shut down life around me until the task is complete... it's the only way

Old 02-02-2007, 06:31 PM
gamerDNA Regina Omnipotens

Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to Roxianna Send a message via MSN to Roxianna Send a message via Yahoo to Roxianna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Piper View Post
Your question about immersing yourself struck me as a little strange (since that simply doesn't register as a goal for me), and made me wonder - how many of the people who include lots of media or other 'distractions' were high social or high exploerer (my two high marks) in the bartle test? Does the motivation for gaming influence the way we game?
This is an interesting thought. I'd like to explore. I'll put some thought into how.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:36 PM

Hmm he may well be onto something there. I scored highly as a Killer in the test and i certainly like to emerse myself in a game as much as possible so long as it isnt doing something tedious. It seems Roxi is similar to that too. This could well be the start of a quite interesting discussion
Old 02-02-2007, 06:38 PM
gamerDNA Regina Omnipotens

Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to Roxianna Send a message via MSN to Roxianna Send a message via Yahoo to Roxianna
Apparently people are willing to tolerate downtime in games for travel, would you mind having that downtime filled with something? What if there was in-game radio or TV? What if there were in-flight movies for those long griffon rides? What if, *gasp*, they were clever commercials for game related products? Or even player made machinema?
Old 02-02-2007, 08:49 PM
The Midnight Piper

Skyles is a paragon of the community Skyles is a paragon of the community Skyles is a paragon of the community Skyles is a paragon of the community Skyles is a paragon of the community
Send a message via ICQ to Skyles
Well, I've always been a huge fan of GTA radio stations - but they were done in an extremely entertaining way. I'd probably enjoy in-game radio stations if they had plenty of channel options and provided they fit the game genre or were kept purely as s system tool without in-game representation (eg, a radio button on my UI, but nothing my character intereacts with).

Old 02-03-2007, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxianna View Post
Apparently people are willing to tolerate downtime in games for travel, would you mind having that downtime filled with something? What if there was in-game radio or TV? What if there were in-flight movies for those long griffon rides? What if, *gasp*, they were clever commercials for game related products? Or even player made machinema?
All very interesting propositions. I would love to see such things implimented to see players through the loading of maps when you change zones ect within games....would make things less boring whilst waiting ^_^
Old 02-11-2007, 05:58 PM
Meatshield On Deck!

be0wulfe has set foot on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to be0wulfe Send a message via MSN to be0wulfe Send a message via Yahoo to be0wulfe Send a message via Skype™ to be0wulfe
Most of the time I've either got FoxNews, MSNBC, CNBC, SciFi, History Channel or Cartoon Network on. Partially so I can keep tabs on what's going on out there (I'm an addict for Global World & Finance News) and partially because yes much of the MMO's I've been with - when I'm not PvP'ing, are actually exceedingly dull and repetitive.

Wait, why do I play MMO's again ... ?

I mean for the most part I'm travelling from here to there to kill x mobs or do y quest and turn it in so I can level up and get some new shiny.

PvP is a different story. But for PvE, it's pretty formulaic.

I will say that my first run through a game I'm super focused. But eventually altisis sets in and my mind is on cruise control.

Interestingly enough, I get sucked right into single-player games a lot more. Total War 2, FPS's, etc.

Reading some of the responses I'm seeing that there's enough tedium and grind in MMO's that at least 19% of us will multitask through it.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:00 PM
Meatshield On Deck!

be0wulfe has set foot on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to be0wulfe Send a message via MSN to be0wulfe Send a message via Yahoo to be0wulfe Send a message via Skype™ to be0wulfe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Piper View Post
Your question about immersing yourself struck me as a little strange (since that simply doesn't register as a goal for me), and made me wonder - how many of the people who include lots of media or other 'distractions' were high social or high exploerer (my two high marks) in the bartle test? Does the motivation for gaming influence the way we game?

That's an excellent observation/question - I came up a SEAK myself ...
Old 02-18-2007, 07:38 AM
Enthusiast

Ama-Ebi is a cornerstone of the community Ama-Ebi is a cornerstone of the community Ama-Ebi is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via AIM to Ama-Ebi Send a message via MSN to Ama-Ebi
I guess it depends on what is going on within the game. If I was waiting on a group to gather for hunting,etc or crafting (which is often quiet/solo), then having some tv or music on in the background is a welcome addition. If there is something important going on in the news that day, I make sure to have the tv on or check the various news sites online. If I am RP'ing, then certainly 100% of my attention is devoted to the task at hand.

I think so many of us are used to multi-tasking at work/home, that we do so in other aspects of life.

Ama-Ebi Unagi Zahira Daja