11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > gamerDNA.com > GamerDNA Life

Old 02-01-2007, 02:56 PM
gamerDNA Regina Omnipotens

Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to Roxianna Send a message via MSN to Roxianna Send a message via Yahoo to Roxianna
So if 19% of you are watching TV and playing...
...my question is, why?

Is it because at the core, many aspects of the game are boring, repetitive or too much like work? Is it because you are lonely while playing? Why go to all the trouble of immersing yourself in a fantasy/scifi world, only to have constant reminders of the real world yammering at you in the background?

And finally, if 19%* of you watch TV and play, is there a crossover idea here. Could there be a special kind of TV show designed to go with a game?

*19% according to an ongoing Guildcafe PlayerVox poll.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:05 PM
Enthusiast

SpugNothuson has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to SpugNothuson Send a message via Skype™ to SpugNothuson
I'm one of the 19% but more accurately 90% of my game time is spent in total immersion, but every now and again a TV show comes on that I just can't miss, but there are so many things I need to get done in my games.

For example, Top Gear / Supernatural / 24 / Prison Break comes on TV, I get out of group, stop PvP and PvE and do character maintenance. In SWG this means going to my harvesters and filling them with power whilst emptying them of there resources then throwing it into my factories. In WOW I would smelt those 100 pieces of Ore into Bars and sort out my Auctions. I've not found a labourious task on Vanguard yet, I'm sure there is one somewhere though (Bank and Inventory management maybe).
Old 02-01-2007, 04:36 PM
I hate hippies

EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
I selected watching TV, but I'm not really watching TV. If there's a show I like, I'll usually just go watch it. If it's a show I kind of like, I'll just listen to it (which makes my wife mad when I turn around every 5 minutes and ask her what just happened ). If it's a show I don't like, I don't even pay attention to it. If I get bored with a game, I'll just log and go do something else.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:14 PM
The Pwn Ranger

Charbroil has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Charbroil Send a message via MSN to Charbroil Send a message via Yahoo to Charbroil
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilAerosolCan View Post
I selected watching TV, but I'm not really watching TV. If there's a show I like, I'll usually just go watch it. If it's a show I kind of like, I'll just listen to it (which makes my wife mad when I turn around every 5 minutes and ask her what just happened ). If it's a show I don't like, I don't even pay attention to it. If I get bored with a game, I'll just log and go do something else.
I think ambient sights and sounds are soothing in a way... I think a lot of people may have TV, radio, CD's, iPod, etc etc on in the background because it keeps one foot in r/l... maybe people feel less guilty for indulging in game play for long periods of time if they multi-task... I dunno... just throwing ideas around...

I personally need to do one task at a time... I'm easily distracted... it's my ADD

Old 02-01-2007, 06:56 PM

Dakokain is community member of note
I used to watch TV when I was grinding my jedi because grinding jedi sux. Normally when I play games, I listen to the game music and sounds otherwise I don't really feel immersed in the game. I usually do have to turn the game volume down in order to hear people talking in ventrillo.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:58 PM
Famous Member

Crystalia is a jewel in the community Crystalia is a jewel in the community
Send a message via AIM to Crystalia Send a message via MSN to Crystalia Send a message via Yahoo to Crystalia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxianna View Post
...my question is, why?

Is it because at the core, many aspects of the game are boring, repetitive or too much like work? Is it because you are lonely while playing? Why go to all the trouble of immersing yourself in a fantasy/scifi world, only to have constant reminders of the real world yammering at you in the background?
There's a lot of things that need to be done at one point in a game which don't necessarily require 100% of your attention.

For example in Eve, WoW and other games, travelling from one point to another takes time and you can't really do anything very productive while doing it. So watching TV, listening to music, reading, ... etc during that time allows you to stay busy while you sit there and wait.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:18 PM
The Midnight Piper

Skyles is a paragon of the community Skyles is a paragon of the community Skyles is a paragon of the community Skyles is a paragon of the community Skyles is a paragon of the community
Send a message via ICQ to Skyles
I've never really played games to escape - I enjoy games, but (unless I've just started playing and I'm learning the controls) they don't require 100% focus. Just because I'm gaming doesn't mean I want to miss the news, or an interview or debate I wanted to catch, or the latest episode of a series I like - or more importantly, a good talk with a friend or family member over what we just watched or listened to.

Very few games create an atmosphere that makes me want to fully immerse myself - and those that do usually manage it only in areas. The haunted hotel in Vampire: Bloodlines was a rare example that comes to mind.

Your question about immersing yourself struck me as a little strange (since that simply doesn't register as a goal for me), and made me wonder - how many of the people who include lots of media or other 'distractions' were high social or high exploerer (my two high marks) in the bartle test? Does the motivation for gaming influence the way we game?

Old 02-01-2007, 11:40 PM
Enthusiast

Kabol is community member of note
Send a message via MSN to Kabol Send a message via Skype™ to Kabol
I just find myself more easily connected with others when I'm online. I don't actually multitask usually during gaming, but when it is a task that doesn't require all of my attention, I tend to. Most of the time I'm talking with friends. Lot easier for me to keep in touch, game, read, and write all with my computer in front of me :P

Old 02-01-2007, 11:48 PM

PsyOps has much to be proud of
I'm almost completely focused on the game but I usally watching the simpsons or Stargate SG-1. Since the only games I can play on my crappy computer(new one expexted by May) is Day of Defeat, Zoo Tycoon 2 and half-life 1. So their all games I can easily play and watch TV at the same time.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:51 AM
Devil's Advocate

Ravage is community member of note
Send a message via AIM to Ravage
Not watching tv much...sometimes, but not terribly often.

More likely, I'm listening to Rush, Glenn, or Hannity while I play WoW, which happens to be a very entertaining combination.

However, with tv, I will watch wrestling and comedies quite often while playing MMO's. Any other games and any other television generally requires more of my attention. MMO's are simplistic and repetitive, even a well made one like WoW, although if I'm PvPing I tend to be a little more focused.