11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > General Gaming Discussion

Old 06-22-2009, 10:31 PM

flyingwarpigs has set foot on a distinguished road
Prince of Persia Review
I just wrote this up a couple of minutes ago.

So I just picked up this game the other day and got to play it for a good 5 hours or so this morning. It's addicting! My mom actually had to kick me off. I'm just going to go through the ups and downs briefly. First, and most notably, the graphics are visually stunning. Beautiful graphics and a very unique art style that isn't used by many games. The story is great, although not very deep. You wander through the desert, meet a girl with a crazy dad who unlocks the God of Darkness from his prison, and the land gets corrupted. You have to heal the land in order to trap this dude back in the prison. The story unfolds more in depth along the way, as you have the choice to talk to Elika whenever you like, and you will get to know more about her, yourself, and what you are really doing. That of course ties in with really great character development. As you get to talk to Elika more, she kind of loosens up around you, you get to she who she really is. And you learn more about yourself too. Since this game takes on the roll of a completely different Prince, you don't know much about him And of what I've played so far, he doesn't even have a name. Through these little conversations it makes you really want to progress through the game and learn more about the characters.

The game is open-world, but kind of a linear open-world, if that makes sense. You can chose when and where you want to go, but the path there is usually small, not much branching out. But it's fine, the gameplay makes up for it. And if you have played the older Prince of Persia games, you'll be more familiar with the linear feel. This opens up a lot of opportunity to explore and see the world around you at your own pace, it is really a truly magnificent world you are in, and its very fun, and rewarding (light seeds) to explore. The acrobatics are really fun, and very, very smooth with the controls. The controls are simple and easy to learn, there are lots of different moves and acrobatics to learn, and they all come in handy while traveling from place to place or doing puzzles.

The fighting, is some of the best fighting I've ever experienced in a game like this before. All though I feel the enemies aren't strong enough, as in you can finish them off very quickly, the fights are still spectacular. Your acrobatic moves and your gauntlet all translate into the fighting and make it a really great experience. The controls for fighting are really and simple to learn as well, and you can pull of some truly epic combos by using different buttons in a certain order. Square for your sword, X for acrobatic moves, such as flipping over an enemies head or rolling underneath. Circle is to use your gauntlet, which comes useful for throwing your enemies in the air, and opening up more opportunities for combos. And last but not least, triangle can be used for Elika's magic attacks, again, opening up a lot more opportunities for many different combos. The combos add a great deal of fun to the fighting and are real fun to play around with, finding new moves and such. Another thing about the fighting, which I really enjoyed was that you will no more find yourself cornered by waves of enemies. There isn't a great deal of fighting in this game, but when there is, it is always one on one, longer, more epic fights. And this is totally fine for me, it takes a lot of the frustration out of the game.

Talking about taking a lot of the frustration out of the game, you can't die. You heard- or... read that right. You can't die at all. Every time you fall of a ledge, Elika will save you. Every time you are cornered by and enemy and have no chance, Elika will intervene and push the enemy away, with some help from you of course, quickly tapping the square button. I thought this was kind of stupid at first, like the game would be too easy. (and it definitely is easy, easier than the other games at least) But you get used to it. And I think it's a very good thing, as you will find yourself falling off cliffs, into corruption or getting owned by some bad ass servant of the God of Darkness. On that note, there isn't many enemy varieties. I would have liked more, but you only encounter 5 types of enemies. A normal soldier, and a corrupted version of a soldier (I guess that can count as two) and then there is the big guys. The Hunter, the Alchemist, The Concubine, and The Warrior. Those are the main enemies you will fight, but there is also some fights you will have with Elika's father. I'm not sure about any other enemies as of now, I haven't beat the game yet.

So I think that sums it up pretty well. If you have a PS3, Xbox 360, or a PC, you definitely should miss out on this game.

I hope you enjoyed this review, and I hope it game you a good outlook on the game, if you haven't played it yet. And if you have played it, feel free to correct me where I've gone wrong, or share your ideas on the game.

Follow me on twitter! - www.twitter.com/infamous14
Old 06-23-2009, 01:02 AM
Enthusiast

Thund3rball is a jewel in the community Thund3rball is a jewel in the community
Nice revew.

This game looks great and is oddly relaxing to play. The controls on PC are alright, but I don't like how I have to think that a green orb means the space bar and a red orb is mouse button 4 etc etc. So for PC combat is a bit more challenging, and that is my gripe with the game. The quicktimed events are too plentiful in combat and relying on me to think "green orb, oh that's Space Bar, quick press it!" really bites.

Also the shadows in this game are pathetic actually. They made zero effort to take advantage of PC hardware with this. It's too bad because the visuals are quite fantastic, and better shadows would have bumped it up a couple notches.

All in all it is fun to run around the world, the platforming is a cinch 98% of the time. So that combined with the beautiful art style makes for an enjoyable and relaxing time, especially for $30, which is how much the PC version usually is of this title.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:54 AM

flyingwarpigs has set foot on a distinguished road
Yeah, I forgot about that. I had the same problem playing Assassins Creed for PC. You see the little icon, and I found my self pressing every button on the key board to find out what key it was haha.

And yesh, 30$ is right, for PC, 360, and PS3.

Follow me on twitter! - www.twitter.com/infamous14
Old 06-23-2009, 06:22 PM
Enthusiast

Thund3rball is a jewel in the community Thund3rball is a jewel in the community
Yes Assassin's Creed also had that problem, sadly I found the gameplay much less "fun" than PoP so I never finished AC.