11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > Tabletop Games

Old 06-09-2009, 02:57 AM
Enthusiast

alomo has set foot on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyesWhiteGirl View Post
I joined a Savage Worlds game at a game store last Saturday and one of the guys had a mini for his character with a bare boob. He claimed it was supposed to be authentic Amizon to have armor with one boob bare. I thought it was kind of rude, and a bit disturbing that it was a guy playing that character, but nobody else seemed to care about it but me.
Other than him using a mini with an exposed breast, how else did he play? was it like a total and complete tool? If so, don't bother playing with him again. My gut feeling, is that he probably is a bit immature, but there is a lack of info.

People that play like that can really ruin an evening.

As far as guys playing women, well, sometimes it happens. Girdle of femininity/masculinity is one way. I got into a game where when I sat down, I started to look at the character sheet and noticed it was a female. (It actually would have been a heck if a fun game, but the dm was not the greatest and it pretty much fell to pieces after a few sessions.)
Old 06-09-2009, 06:02 PM

pops40k has much to be proud of
Send a message via Yahoo to pops40k
It also depends on the game you're playing. I know nothing about Savage worlds. I do know that if you play 40k it is possible you'll play against an entire army of topless "daemonettes". The most recent sculpts of the models they are wearing girdles that cover them up (though I do have to say that looks assenine, seems like there could have been a better way), but I'm fairly sure that even that was a direct result of increased sales in America and more kids are starting to play than previously did.

I also can't really consider it to be in bad taste if the model was made specifically for the game being played. If I ever had to play something like that (I can play the daemonette army, but I can't really play female characters in actual RP games) I'd use a proxy model if it made someone uncomfortable, however, I wouldn't expect anyone else to do so.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:36 PM
Savant

revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED
Heh, everyone who took my suggestion seriously fails at picking up humor.

Leader of Hamnation [PIG]
Member of the EYE Alliance
Check out my gaming blog: The Chaos Grenade
Old 06-10-2009, 01:31 AM

Oola is a cornerstone of the community Oola is a cornerstone of the community Oola is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via Yahoo to Oola
Epic Fail, or just a normal fail?
Old 06-10-2009, 01:45 AM

Animal85205 is a paragon of the community Animal85205 is a paragon of the community Animal85205 is a paragon of the community Animal85205 is a paragon of the community Animal85205 is a paragon of the community
I play female characters in D&D all the time. I have no choice in the matter. That's because I'm the DM. BWAhahahaha!!!
Old 06-10-2009, 02:31 AM
Savant

revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oola View Post
Epic Fail, or just a normal fail?
Just normal.
There is some interesting convo though, brought up by the topic of said topless miniature and whether it was tasteless or part of the game:

I think on both sides, there needs to be an understanding of what players comfort levels are. Also what attitudes go along with a game. This doesn't mean I think the dude who wanted to play a topless Amazonian was wrong in his game styles; but at the same time, I wouldn't invite certain people to play, let's say, my Call of Cthulhu games or certain World of Darkness games without knowing they could handle mature themes and some risque in-character behavior.

I honestly feel it's not against etiquette to openly discuss comfort zones, and knowing where to draw the lines.

Leader of Hamnation [PIG]
Member of the EYE Alliance
Check out my gaming blog: The Chaos Grenade
Old 07-23-2009, 08:35 PM
Enthusiast

absolutlush is a cornerstone of the community absolutlush is a cornerstone of the community absolutlush is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via AIM to absolutlush
To continue on the thread (hoping other noobs find some strength in this):

The DM was trying to get us to think of other avenues. We now alternate between my place and the DM's each weekend and we have added 3 more and have stopped rolling for the guy who is overseas. So we are at 6 PC's, 3 horses and a dead pc.

Yes that's right I lost my first D&D character ever. It was a crit roll with a scythe. As a level 4 barbarian there was no way I would have had enough health in the middle of a rage to cover that 4x multiplier. I am now a Dwarf Barbarian with a tower shield +2. Don't ask I rolled really well on my stat checks (+9) and the group had previously recovered a tower shield. with a +2 dex I could use it without taking a hit so my AC as an 4Barb/1Fighter is 23 w/ 2 rages. The group isn't complaining, especially the two gnomes.

I'm in charge of the mini's since i have so many of them, another player is in charge of the battle map and markers. I am also historian, one of the gnomes is a map maker and the other is in charge of accounting. It took a few weeks but we have all settled into our roles and the game is moving nicely. We work so well that we accidently defeated a L9 Rakshasa. The gnomish wizard yelled out tactics, the other gnome (a druid) sent his bat to grapple after i disarmed. And then i jsut raged and power attacked (to get past it's DR) and we took it to -1 before we had to bail because something we couldn't kill was coming.
We talked to the DM afterwards about the Rakshasa
Rakshasa and it was supposed to nearly kill us then dissapear leading us to do something. But we wanted to kill it so he let us try. He had already called the other thing for plot and we were never even going to fight it but because we took 10 rounds to take the Rakashasa to -1 it caught up to us.

The battle proved two very important things for our group. We can work well in game and personally together. and two we trust our DM who also trusts us. He has gone back to the secret rolls for the most part unless it's not a big deal and we haven't seen something in a while. Then he'll roll something that we knew was obvious and isn't overly important in front of us as a sign of trust for us.

We have completed a quest and were bitching about how we wanna go after Giants. Well wouldn't ya know the DM sends out an email warning us that the elves (who are few in numbers after a devastating war) are being harrassed by giants. Coincidence? My dwarf thinks it fortuitous and looks forward to cutting them down at the ankles.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:42 PM

Animal85205 is a paragon of the community Animal85205 is a paragon of the community Animal85205 is a paragon of the community Animal85205 is a paragon of the community Animal85205 is a paragon of the community
Did he email you in character or out of character? And when did the Elves start using email?
Old 07-24-2009, 08:19 PM
Savant

LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to LordXenophon
Elves invented email, as a way for the Christmas Elves to send cookie orders to the Keebler Elves via sattelite.

When you're stuck at the North Pole, with no land lines and no mobile towers and only a few usable sattelites overhead, you can end up spending way too much money unless you can adapt to the cheapest sattelite. The cheapest one at the time happened to be text-only, so they needed a way to send the minimum of information and compile a display from elements which already existed on the Keebler catalog server.

That same year, when Santa asked Bill Gates what he wanted for Christmas, he asked for the patents on ELF (Elven Language Format). Of course, ELF is too silly a name for Microsoft to use, so he had to change the name to SOCKS before he could create Hotmail.

It is by the force of will alone I set my mind in motion.
The juice of Coffee quickens the mind.
The desk acquires a stain.
The stain becomes a warning.
It is by the force of will alone I set my mind in motion.
Last edited by LordXenophon : 07-24-2009 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:08 AM

AZBarbarian has much to be proud of
So the reason the new email clients have a "basic version" button is because Santa Claus refuses to upgrade to broadband?