11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > RPG/Action/Adventure

Old 06-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Enthusiast

DarthOdium is a cornerstone of the community DarthOdium is a cornerstone of the community
Cross Edge
OK so I'm an RPG nut and I buy almost any RPG without hesitation. At times I like to talk about games that some people may not wont or even know exist. So here's a little info on this game just in case any of you where interested in it.

Cross Edge takes characters from several different developers and creates a story with them. The companies and games that Cross Edge uses are: Capcom - Darkstalkers, Gust - Mana Khemia 2, and Atelier Marie, Namco Bandai - Ar Tonelico, Idea Factory - Spectral Soul, Nippon Ichi - Disgaea Series. The main characters of Cross Edge are York, and Miko they have no connection to any of the other games.

So a quick look at the story, people's memories are being brought to a unknown world and are being consumed by evil. York and Miko are also caught by this evil but instead of just the memories being caught there bodies came as well. Now they are on a quest to leave this unknown world and along the way meet different game characters who will help them regain the memories and leave this world.

The gameplay is timed turn based strategy. You start out by selecting what characters you want to use, and then place them on a square grid that is 3 columns by 4 rows. So close range attacks are one the first and second rows, while long range and mid range take up the last two. Once ready you attack uses the four PS3 controller buttons. Depending on what button you use depends on the type of attack using an attack will wear down an opponent's health, or guard. During battle your team will use AP, AP is used for everything from items, moving on the grid, changing out characters, and of course attacks. Once you decided to attack a time gauge will appear and while it counts down you can cycle through your characters in chain combos for stronger attacks all while using AP. Once your turn is over it's the enemies, unfortunately you just sit and wait for the turn to end.

The graphics are bright and colorful Cross Edge is a mixture of 3D and 2D graphics. The close up of the characters are drawn 2D and are very pretty. If you've played an NIS published game you've seen these before. The 3D graphics are seen from monster and the general maps you walk around on. 2D is seen from the main characters, and any building area entered. The towers used to travel to different areas with are also a mixture of both.

Cross Edge is fun but some of you will hate it. For starters the tutorials, and the instruction booklet are ruthless. Once you start the game you are only told a little bit of what you need to do in combat, and may lose the first battle because of this. Also this game is full of menus you'll be in a menu in a menu to access the menu you need. Also you are given little help on how to create items, and how to create or equip combos. For some this will turn you off the moment you start playing, for others if you don't mind a learning curve and learning on your own you'll pick it up after awhile.

That's it, sorry for the wall of text. If I was rating Cross Edge I give it a 6 out 10 because I like the characters from other games, and it's a very deep game maybe too deep for some but I've enjoyed it so far.
Last edited by DarthOdium : 06-08-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:19 PM
Enthusiast

AlazarRamir is community member of note
Send a message via MSN to AlazarRamir
OOOOH!!! I WUV RPGs!
Shame this is on a PS3 cos I do not have the console... yet...
But it looks just like the sort that I would get into.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:55 PM
Enthusiast

DarthOdium is a cornerstone of the community DarthOdium is a cornerstone of the community
It's fun, but it has it's pros and a cons. The game is very micromanaging from weapons, armor, combos, and leveling up. I usually don't worry about managing like that, the only item that annoys me is for a PS3 game how many little game pauses it does, even when you installed it.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:38 PM
Enthusiast

Hexblood is a jewel in the community Hexblood is a jewel in the community
Yeah, I thought the looked pretty interesting. Just wish I had a PS3 ; ;