11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 06-01-2009, 06:16 PM
I hate hippies

EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Really weird sound problem with Fallout 3
As the title states, I am having a really weird sound problem with Fallout 3. I'm having an issue with the radio stations. When I'm listening to the Pipboy radio, the music skips, like a CD player that keeps getting bumped. When someone is speaking it works fine, and when I hear the music on a tabletop radio it sounds fine. Also, I'm not having sound sound issues with any other programs.

I'm really confused on this one. If it were a driver, I'd be having issues with other things. If it were corrupted files, I'd imagine the songs on the tabletop radios would sound bad too. If it was a corrupted Pipboy file (?) then people speaking on the Pipboy radio should sound bad. So I really don't know what to check.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:11 PM

Gorgum3l is a cornerstone of the community Gorgum3l is a cornerstone of the community Gorgum3l is a cornerstone of the community
It's probably just playing the music faster than it can buffer it.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:29 AM
Enthusiast

rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorgum3l View Post
It's probably just playing the music faster than it can buffer it.
Which implies a problem with the hard drive not running at the correct speed, or the system being underspeced.

EvilAerosolCan, what are your specs?

You may want to try and run HdTach and see what it rates you at.

I had a similar problem with one game, in one part it would jerka-jerka-ah-ah-jerka then be fine. I discovered that it was my hard drive not running at the correct speed. Seems it was incompatible with the 64-bit OS and only running at 16% of the speed it should have been.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:53 AM
Savant

Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Hagan
Erm, I have the same problem... and I think its intentional.
I think its something they added to the game music to add a bit more atmosphere (After all, the musics kept as data on a slowly breaking down format, hence the corruption).
Old 06-02-2009, 01:52 PM
I hate hippies

EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabb1t View Post
Which implies a problem with the hard drive not running at the correct speed, or the system being underspeced.

EvilAerosolCan, what are your specs?
AMD X2 4800+ 2.4 Ghz
2 GB PC4000 DDR
7800gtx
WD Raptor 74 GB

I know it's a little dated, but up until not too long ago it ran Fallout 3 just fine.

Quote:
You may want to try and run HdTach and see what it rates you at.

I had a similar problem with one game, in one part it would jerka-jerka-ah-ah-jerka then be fine. I discovered that it was my hard drive not running at the correct speed. Seems it was incompatible with the 64-bit OS and only running at 16% of the speed it should have been.
That program won't run on Vista. I did, not too long ago, upgrade to a 64-bit OS. I may have to look into this. Do you know any other freeware HD testers? I'm at work right now and can't really look, I'll check later when I get home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagan View Post
Erm, I have the same problem... and I think its intentional.
I think its something they added to the game music to add a bit more atmosphere (After all, the musics kept as data on a slowly breaking down format, hence the corruption).
I hope not. That's a horrible idea, imo. That would explain why people speak clearly over the radio (so you don't miss something important), but the music doesn't work. I'm going to go read the patch notes now. If it's true, I hope it's the songs and not something coded in to make them break up. Then I can just replace the music with my own, uncrappy music.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:00 PM
I hate hippies

Quote:
I forgot to ask, is there a fix for this other than buying a new hard drive?
Old 06-03-2009, 11:39 PM
Enthusiast

rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community
You are still covered and RMA the hard drive?

Unfortunately hard drive bios can't be updated like motherboards or other things in your system where you just download an update. They are like hard-wired into the drive. So if it's incompatible, or failing in some way, the only solve is to replace it. The good news is that every 3 or so years the tech changes, so if you buy something current you'll be getting a better drive.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:52 AM

mhigurl has much to be proud of
This can make it all and mgiht as to see could always make the realizations. - Flemings Ultimate Garage Reviews