11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > Multiplayer Strategy & RTS Games

Old 06-01-2009, 11:19 AM
Savant

LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to LordXenophon
I know what you mean. Masters of Orion 3 is one of my favorite games, but it got horrible reviews. Not only that, but everywhere I look in forum posts about it, there are people saying things like, "This is the game that taught me to pay attention to game reviews." Some games just take longer to get used to before you start to enjoy them, or they only appeal to certain people.

It is by the force of will alone I set my mind in motion.
The juice of Coffee quickens the mind.
The desk acquires a stain.
The stain becomes a warning.
It is by the force of will alone I set my mind in motion.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:03 PM
Enthusiast

KrazyKain is a paragon of the community KrazyKain is a paragon of the community KrazyKain is a paragon of the community KrazyKain is a paragon of the community
that, and alot of games dont have much in the form of.. oh whats that word? something value... (flash and overal professionalism and polish) but deep down are actually really good games. Let's take Killing Floor for example... technically.. your paying to play an unreal tournament mod... but you know what? its so much bloody fun who cares!!
one of my fave ps1 games.. apocalypse, the one featuring Bruce Willis got terrible reviews, but its always been one of my faves and still is.

but what REALLY gets to me.. nowadays players allow reviews to dictate what they play.. when they see an announcement or gameplay trailer... their reaction isnt "I'll play the demo and decide if i should buy it..." no.. its
"i'll wait till IGN or Gamespot review the game"
Old 06-01-2009, 08:14 PM
Enthusiast

Thund3rball is a jewel in the community Thund3rball is a jewel in the community
I am not sure what the lowest rated game I have is... but the same can be said for the reverse. I do own games that got rave reviews from the big sites that I feel are less than fun. :\
Old 06-01-2009, 08:38 PM
Enthusiast

AlazarRamir is community member of note
Send a message via MSN to AlazarRamir
I make it a point of being VERY wary when a game is being raved about. There have been god knows how many games that have been hyped so much that when I get my hands on them were a HUGE disappointment
Old 06-02-2009, 01:37 AM
Enthusiast

I actually don't have many games like that. Mostly I think the game is fine just not my style, like Stalker for instance. But Something like Dawn of War 2, I was thoroughly disappointed. I loved DoW 1 so much and #2 was just so meh. Yet all the sites were raving about it like it was the best thing since Pong.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:01 AM

Oola is a cornerstone of the community Oola is a cornerstone of the community Oola is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via Yahoo to Oola
I still haven't tried Stalin vs. Martians yet, but I have tried Plants vs. Zombies. It was stupid, but remarkably fun anyway. If Stalin vs. Martians is at all similar, it might be worth a try.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:52 PM
Enthusiast

Thud3rball - Didn't even know there was a 2 for Dawn of War. Played the first one and it was ok for me. Killed some time. me it depends if I want to classify it as "not my style". There are just so many games that are lacking in gameplay that to me, it's not what I would say "isn't my style". They merely focused on visuals or hype and forgot about all the rest.

Oola - Yup. That would definitely class SvM - Stupid but funny.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:58 AM
Enthusiast

I hear ya Alazar but thankfully I have not bought many games that I felt a victim to hype with. DoW2 and Assasin's Creed might be 2 but luckily I also don't buy games at full retail release prices, so I don't get as hurt by it. I only buy maybe 2 or 3 of those a year and they are the no contest gems to me. (i.e. Bioshock and Orange Box to name a couple). So I know I am getting my money's worth. I always wait for sales or buy used.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:36 AM
Enthusiast

I am very select at buying games. Nowadays it seems so hard to go to a store and say "ooh! I always wanted that one!" Now, I tend to ask myself will I enjoy this one, or has the hype really exaggerated it all.

On another note, I tend to watch reviews with a skeptical eye. After all, it's all just a paid opinion.