11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > Retro Gaming

Old 05-21-2009, 02:19 AM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
Personally, I don't care about owning a particular game, just playing a particular game. I'm more a collector of playing, rather than gaming. I love playing games from when I was younger, but I don't have to have a mint-condition copy in order to consider that I "own" the game. I do, however, think that from a collector's point of view, owning the physical cartridge is a must.

If I actually bothered to download ROMs (which I don't because there's a shop near my house that specializes in old-school gaming systems) I wouldn't say that I "owned" those games, simply because no money changed hands. The songs I download off of iTunes are mine, simply because I paid to have them, DRM issues aside. The games I download off of the Virtual Console are mine, because I paid for them.

I am of the belief that if a person (or team of people, or corporation, what have you) puts in the work to create something, they should be compensated for that work. If not enough people purchase a work, then it will be difficult for that person to produce more.

I know that this is a contentious issue, so let the "you're wrong" replies flow. I don't care.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:30 AM
Enthusiast

Thund3rball is a jewel in the community Thund3rball is a jewel in the community
No you're not wrong mykalgaiden but piracy is changing the capitalist landscape whether we like it or not. I am able to see the issue from many sides and find myself having conflicting opinions depending on the situation. I can't argue with "try before you buy". This is caveat emptor in all it's glory and content creators need take heed. If you are producing crap and expecting to profit because of a crack marketing campaign or rely on brand loyalty, well those days are soon over. Give the people what they want, what their hard earned money deserves in return, and you shall be rewarded.

But piracy as a method of acquiring anything and everything you can simply because it is easy and free, is imo true piracy and should hardly be tolerated.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:17 PM
Enthusiast

KrazyKain is a paragon of the community KrazyKain is a paragon of the community KrazyKain is a paragon of the community KrazyKain is a paragon of the community
I'd have to say i both agree and disagree with you OP...

Collectors will always collect wether Roms are readily available or not.. some of us however dont have the time or money to buy a classic nes game for 10 times the price of a download on our Wii.

Games should be made readily available to players.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:49 PM
Savant

LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to LordXenophon
Games should definately be made readily available, but in a legal way. Some of my favorite games were horribly underpublished. I have to go to a young niece's house if I want to play Monster Rancher, because she's the only person I know who managed to buy it before it was sold out. I don't want to have to resort to piracy just to get a copy, but I've been on waiting lists at several different used game stores for years without getting my copy.

It is by the force of will alone I set my mind in motion.
The juice of Coffee quickens the mind.
The desk acquires a stain.
The stain becomes a warning.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:08 AM
Enthusiast

KrazyKain is a paragon of the community KrazyKain is a paragon of the community KrazyKain is a paragon of the community KrazyKain is a paragon of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordXenophon View Post
Games should definately be made readily available, but in a legal way. Some of my favorite games were horribly underpublished. I have to go to a young niece's house if I want to play Monster Rancher, because she's the only person I know who managed to buy it before it was sold out. I don't want to have to resort to piracy just to get a copy, but I've been on waiting lists at several different used game stores for years without getting my copy.
well i wasnt refeerring to piracy, more along the lines of Wii VC
Old 05-28-2009, 04:43 AM
Savant

LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to LordXenophon
I was thinking more like publishing-on-demand from Amizon, except with game CD's, rather than just books.

The juice of Coffee quickens the mind.
The desk acquires a stain.
The stain becomes a warning.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:58 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordXenophon View Post
I was thinking more like publishing-on-demand from Amizon, except with game CD's, rather than just books.
yeah thats a good concept too
Old 05-28-2009, 10:03 PM
Enthusiast

AlazarRamir is community member of note
Send a message via MSN to AlazarRamir
Interesting concept.
Personally I only like Roms for that fact that it brings me back to the games I was surrounded by in my childhood. I no longer have a working Amiga or Sega Genesis, so being able to go back to them this way allows me to savor the past experiences.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:07 AM
Enthusiast

well i think in the end the main argument here is: if you have the rom... NO! you can NOT say you own it you liar!! which is true.. but we still own some of those mega drive/genesis games Alazar we just play them because the console doesnt work
Old 07-14-2009, 11:16 PM

Niteraid has set foot on a distinguished road
I just thought I'd throw my perspective into this. I'd call myself a retro collector simply because I still have everything I had when I was younger but I still buy some old games ONLY when I come across them at a DECENT price. I wouldn't say "ok, I desperately want my own copy of *rare retro game here*" then find one on eBay for like 100. I wouldn't spend that ammount of money on an old game. Hunting them down for ones own self gratification (which is basically what most gaming collections are all about) just isn't worth it to me.

I have to agree with Mykalgaiding. Playing is far more important than owning. And personally, I have more than a few Virtual Console games on my Wii that I own the original cartridges for. Some would say that's kinda stupid but I say it's easier to play (and reminisce) on Wii than dig out the SNES, set it up, have wires everywhere then have to put it all away again.

Something I'm gonna say might not make me popular but here goes. Personally I think ROMs actually help to some degree. In the case of the Wii it's the only way to "try before you buy". I know this cause I've done it myself. It opens up so many doors for people like me who prefer retro games and can't afford or find the games and systems to play them on. I firmly believe that I would not love games as much if I didn't know about ROMs as I get increasingly more frustrated with modern games.

Rant over!