11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > Retro Gaming

Old 03-14-2009, 01:37 AM
Enthusiast

Tribaut is community member of note
Exclamation Gaming 101
nowadays if you say the name link the first thing that comes to most gamers minds is the wii this is not right the first thing that should come to mind is that old nes side scroller we all know and love everyone should have played that in one form or another. there are many games people should play i want you peoples to name a game (that came out before n64) that everyone should have played and give a valid reason.

>no because its l33t is not a reason<
>niether is because I said so<
>and yes foreign games can count but it better have a good reason<

http://www.gamerdna.com/showthread.php?t=31155&page=2 help your fellow GDNA bros out!
Old 03-14-2009, 06:13 AM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
It is a pity that people tend to forget that there is a source for all of these franchises we have nowadays. The Legend of Zelda (not a side-scrolling game, btw ) laid down so many groundrules we take for granted. A massive world, gaining abilities to conquer more formidable enemies, a save system (this one was revolutionary. No more passwords!), post end-game play (Second Quest, anyone?) and so many others.

Sure, Twilight Princess is excellent and rightly deserves the praise and accolades it has received. But without Link's first 8-bit adventure we never would have had Midna around to gripe at us. Although we also wouldn't have had Navi, so it's not all silver lining.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:53 PM

synrg023 has set foot on a distinguished road
Damn that younger generation, hahah.

The NES was pretty much a breeding ground of new 8bit innovation. Atari was fun, but the NES stood out the most with more memorable surprises.

I wanted to show my younger brother that old generation games were just as much fun as some of the next generation ones so I had him play a bunch of my old favorites. He learned a lot about games from playing those. He found out that "Zelda didn't actually start on the N64!" lol

I like what the Wii is doing at least with their 'Virtual Console' and bringing old classics for the newer generation to play.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:20 PM
Enthusiast

Shademonger is a cornerstone of the community Shademonger is a cornerstone of the community Shademonger is a cornerstone of the community
Final Fantasy VI. These youngsters these days are so spoiled with their newfangled Final Fantasy VII. Sure, the graphics and storytelling were groundbreaking for it's time in VII, but VI had some of the best sprite-based graphics ever seen since. The villain was completely batshit loco, and most of the bosses, optional or otherwise, were downright notorious. Atma weapon was a freakin beast.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:54 PM
Enthusiast

Thund3rball is a jewel in the community Thund3rball is a jewel in the community
Before the Legend of Zelda there was Venture for the Coleco Vision! Nothing like moving a happy face around a bunch of boxy dungeons, lol. I wasted lots of time on this game.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:01 PM
Enthusiast

absolutlush is a cornerstone of the community absolutlush is a cornerstone of the community absolutlush is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via AIM to absolutlush
For an older game (and since Link/zeldas are taken) for me it was metroid. not a complete side scroller, it had a huge world and seeing samus in the end made it all worth while. Oh yeah and the cartoons were fun too!
Old 05-06-2009, 04:37 AM
Enthusiast

Hexblood is a jewel in the community Hexblood is a jewel in the community
Fighting games: Any of the 16-bit era Street Fighters.

FPS: Kind of a Tie between Wolfenstein 3D and Doom (Original and II)

RPG: Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG

Platformer: Super Mario Bro. 3 and Super Mario World.

Action/Adventure: Super Metroid, Metal Gear
Old 05-14-2009, 09:54 AM

grimfusion has set foot on a distinguished road
Mainstream gamers today are spoiled by graphics. Said gamers will put in the time and effort to ensure that new games featuring rich, 3D enviornment also have good storylines, music, and control, but older games get tossed aside simply due to graphics quality.

Mainstream gamers today will not look into playing classic games despite enthralling storylines, music, and control just because the graphics aren't top of the line.