11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > RPG/Action/Adventure

Old 09-20-2008, 06:22 PM

Kanashimi has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Kanashimi Send a message via MSN to Kanashimi Send a message via Yahoo to Kanashimi
God, sitting down to finally play this was such an experience for me. Since I've always been a big Metal Gear fan I decided I would play the whole game through in one go, but the storyline got me so thrilled and excited every act I had to stop for an hour just to ponder what had occurred only a few moments ago. It was such a huge feeling of Wow, this is the story... this is the end... I felt more blown away playing for the first time, it was a gaming experience that no other game could compete with.

Since I've completed it I've beaten the game at least six times, and I'm still affected by the story. It's just that powerful to drive emotion so well. I still get antsy during Otacon's sorrow, and a bit teary-eyed when we meet Big Mama (trying to keep spoilers to a minimum, just in case).

I kinda still can't get over the fact that it's over, it's done, that's it. I mean, sure it might not be our hero's story if they decide to make another one, but just that looming fact kind of drills in the back of my mind.

Metal Gear Solid 4 is an epic game.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:07 AM
Enthusiast

kanashi is a jewel in the community
Send a message via AIM to kanashi Send a message via MSN to kanashi Send a message via Yahoo to kanashi
This game, in my opinion was a big bang for the end of this part of the series. Not only did it have great gameplay, stunning graphics, it answered so many questions and finished with an epic ending. Hold it to to Hideo Kojima to kick some ass with his games.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:23 PM

akiraluckystar has much to be proud of
It is a superb finale to the series, its breath taking, extremely fun as well as challenging, and even though they changed it slightly, it still felt like a mgs game.
The cut scenes were a bit to long, I will admit, at times I felt bombarded by them, and was quite vexed at a certain part where due to playing I was unable to watch a fight that goes on in the other half of the screen, I'm trying to be linear as possible incase of potentially spoiling.
But overall the game was stunning, great fun, it once again had its brilliantly fun boss fights, and superb storyline as well as unique gameplay that makes it what it is, the only part of the game that I found any real qualms with was where you had to follow resistance members, it was slow and tedious at times where they ran off at the slightest thing.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:21 PM
Enthusiast

kanashi is a jewel in the community
Send a message via AIM to kanashi Send a message via MSN to kanashi Send a message via Yahoo to kanashi
Quote:
Originally Posted by akiraluckystar View Post
It is a superb finale to the series, its breath taking, extremely fun as well as challenging, and even though they changed it slightly, it still felt like a mgs game.
The cut scenes were a bit to long, I will admit, at times I felt bombarded by them, and was quite vexed at a certain part where due to playing I was unable to watch a fight that goes on in the other half of the screen, I'm trying to be linear as possible incase of potentially spoiling.
But overall the game was stunning, great fun, it once again had its brilliantly fun boss fights, and superb storyline as well as unique gameplay that makes it what it is, the only part of the game that I found any real qualms with was where you had to follow resistance members, it was slow and tedious at times where they ran off at the slightest thing.
I think all of the MGS have long long cut scenes xD I remember 2 being one of the worst, and 3 was almost as bad with them! But you can't say they weren't interesting and or informative!

Old 01-04-2009, 09:31 PM

NeoSnake4 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5wiftkill View Post
Personally, I love it. I had to wait before I could buy--or I would've had bought it the moment it came out--because my PS3 was broke. But now that I have it, I can't stop playing it, especially online.

I've been a MGS fan since 1999, when the first game of this installment came out in Europe (which was one year after Japan). Owning all the games of this saga, I have to say that MGS4 is one of the best, but not the best. I still prefer MGS2 when it comes down to story-wise, and MGS because it was the first game I played on the PSone. But of course, being made for the strongest consel up-to-date, MGS4 wins when it comes down to graphics and features.

The story is still strong in MGS4, but it sometimes feels a little rushed on some occastions. Even if this game is the longest of them all, I won't say it's because of the different zones you can play in, but because of the cutscenes. I don't mind them, really. But sometimes it feels like watching a movie, rather than playing a game. I don't know if it's true or not of what they say about some cutscenes being more than 40mins long, but it makes you lose the edge I get from playing.

I would review a little more if I had the time.
I recognized your sig....aren't you a member of TUS? Because if so I am too. My name on there is 5OLID_5NAKE.

Anyways, to that one dude who asked about the novelization of Metal Gear Solid yes there is one out but its more of the writer's interpretation of the true story. However, it does have some spoilers within the book. Like telling us Dr. Clark is a female...not telling who but im sure u can guess its someone we know from "The Past". And this is not the only Metal Gear related book. There was another novel by Nintendo Power that created books based on NES games [even Ninja Gaiden and Castlevania 2 has one]. It was called Metal Gear but the story was crap it never told the real story and they gave Solid Snake's real name as something else. I dunno the games are better than the books. Play the games instead of reading the books.

Btw, I think people need to stop complaining about the longevity of the cutscenes. Those cutscenes give detail and knocks the teeth out of all those other games which are too generic. Screw Halo, Gears of War, and those other overrated games. This is a true action/stealth game. Can't handle my thoughts and opinion on it then just deal. Nothing you can do about it.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:20 PM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant-on-Virus View Post
(Oh and a little reminder, Kojima specifically said that it isn't the end of the series, only the end of him directing/developing the games, he's going to sit back and yet the next generation take over, so don't give up hope! )
He's said that after every game since MGS2. I'll believe it when it actually happens.

That being said, I loved MGS4. The story was a great culmination of all that came before, even if the cutscenes are a bit much. At least I have time during them to go make me a sammich.

I loved the part where Otacon tells Snake that he has to change the disc, but then starts shilling the PS3. Bit much, but a fairly funny nod to the first game.

I've never understood why so many people bag on MGS2's story. Yeah, it was a bit out there, but not that difficult to understand. Raiden was the test subject in a field trial of the control part of the SOP system. The Patriots needed to know that it could work to regulate soldier's actions and emotions on the battlefield.

It'll be interesting to go back and play 2 again after beating 4.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:02 AM

Kiskara is a jewel in the community Kiskara is a jewel in the community
I think most people's gripe about MGS2's story was how different Raiden was from Snake. In comparison, Raiden came off as a clueless whiny kid. I mean, he was, and it made sense...but stacked up next to Snake, he just seemed a horrible pretender to the throne.

Not to mention the whole 'possessed arm' bit...that was a major WTF moment that had plenty of folk just shaking their heads.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:19 AM
Enthusiast

bamaredwingsfan is a jewel in the community bamaredwingsfan is a jewel in the community
I never had a PS2, but i would almost get one to play the other MGS games. I loved 4, and i can play this anytime an still not get bored with it.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:20 PM

Quilon has much to be proud of
SP was amazing, MP was so so. At this point all I gotta say is.... where are the trophies!? I really don't care if they are retroactive or not, it would give me a good reason to play again and spend 15 minutes at a time waiting for acts to install lol.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:57 PM
Enthusiast

bamaredwingsfan is a jewel in the community bamaredwingsfan is a jewel in the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quilon View Post
SP was amazing, MP was so so. At this point all I gotta say is.... where are the trophies!? I really don't care if they are retroactive or not, it would give me a good reason to play again and spend 15 minutes at a time waiting for acts to install lol.
MGS4 is one of the biggest games on PS3 and i can't believe they didn't go back an give it trophy support. It would make me want to play it again, just for that.