11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > RPG/Action/Adventure

Old 05-05-2009, 08:29 PM

mattqatsi has set foot on a distinguished road
Personal RPG project
I'm not sure if I post this here, but I am creating an epic space opera RPG of my own. I expect to have some very basic info up soon, basic models, storyline, maps, etc.

Has anyone else personally created any games of reasonable depth before? Any tips for a newcomer?
Old 05-05-2009, 11:06 PM
Enthusiast

Shademonger is a cornerstone of the community Shademonger is a cornerstone of the community Shademonger is a cornerstone of the community
I'm a graphic designer, so if you need any illustrator work, promotional design, etc. I'd be happy to help. Anything in the name of a space opera.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:36 AM
Enthusiast

Doctorzongo is a paragon of the community Doctorzongo is a paragon of the community Doctorzongo is a paragon of the community Doctorzongo is a paragon of the community Doctorzongo is a paragon of the community
Send a message via MSN to Doctorzongo Send a message via Yahoo to Doctorzongo
Space Opera RPGs are great!

I don't really have any advice on making a game, sorry.

However, I have been looking for a project to contribute to, and if you'd let me I'd love to help out. I don't really know a lot of coding (though I'm learning), and my graphics look like something that was spit out by an ogre, then sat upon for a good hour or so. I'm good with drawing cartoony stuff on paper, but I doubt that would be very helpful here.

I could, however, help with things like maintaining a website, forum, wiki, mailing list, blog, whatever. General tech support. I wouldn't mind writing documentation either, or testing out the game, popping in a bit of code here and there. A sort of odds job man.

In regards to the game itself, I have a couple of questions:
  1. Will the game be open source?
  2. On what platforms will the game run?
The subjected discovered
That sadly the cake was a lie.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorzongo View Post
  1. Will the game be open source?
  2. On what platforms will the game run?
Thanks for this support. If I ever find anything overwhelming, I'll come here for help.
To answer:
1. Psh, yeah. This is a personal project of my own separate from any company. Sorta like Demonik in Grandma's Boy. I'll probably publish the code later on even before it's remotely done just for peer review. Suggestions and help are always welcome.
2. Right now, just the personal computer. I'll try and make it compatable for multiple OSs but I'm one man with limited experience. I don't yet know my limits.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:51 AM

x8xid is community member of note
I am a game designer myself and it's always great to see indi developers cranking out new ideas. Many of us started out as modders and level designers and eventually branched out into making our own games.

If you need some minor help feel free to message me. But, I would warn you - keep your work close to your chest. There are many vultures out there just waiting to take credit for your work. It happened to me early on in my career and it sucked very bad.

My best advice is learn to use a game editor or an older form of engine editor. Start by simply modding a pre-existing game such as Dungeon Seige or Source Engine. If you really have NO experience try building some stuff in the Unreal Editor first. Allot of original games have come from mods. Building an engine from scratch is a duanting task if you have no experience.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x8xid View Post
Building an engine from scratch is an impossible task if you have no experience.
I fixed it for you.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. - Heinlein