11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 05-01-2009, 08:14 PM

Euantor has set foot on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Euantor Send a message via MSN to Euantor Send a message via Yahoo to Euantor
Processor Upgrading?
I'm thinking about upgrading the processor in my Desktop PC.

I currently have an AMD Sempron 3500+ (2.01Ghz) and am looking to upgrade to an AMD Athlon 5600 Dual Core (2.9Ghz).

They are both of the same Socket Type (AM2) but I need to know that the new processor would work before I go and order it. Also, if possible, I'd like to know if I'd have to update my BIOS.

PS: I'm pretty new to upgrading computer parts etc so I wish to know whether this is a relatively simple thing to do?

PPS: The computer is an Acer Aspire T180. Possibly somebody's already done it and knows a little?

Thanks tons,
Euan

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

{twitter} {Last.fm} {XBL}
Old 05-01-2009, 08:42 PM
I hate hippies

EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
If they're the same socket, it should be just a simple swap.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:01 PM
Enthusiast

Thund3rball is a jewel in the community Thund3rball is a jewel in the community
You are good to go but you may need some thermal paste to go between the CPU and the heatsink. I have not bought a retail box CPU/Heatsink combo (I usually buy used parts) so I don't know if they come together or not.

As for your BIOS... do you know what motherboard you have? I would check the manufacturer's website to see what the latest BIOS revision is for details. You probably don't need to flash your BIOS to run the 64x2 chip but it is a good time to check and do it if you are upgrading. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to Euantor Send a message via MSN to Euantor Send a message via Yahoo to Euantor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thund3rball View Post
You are good to go but you may need some thermal paste to go between the CPU and the heatsink. I have not bought a retail box CPU/Heatsink combo (I usually buy used parts) so I don't know if they come together or not.

As for your BIOS... do you know what motherboard you have? I would check the manufacturer's website to see what the latest BIOS revision is for details. You probably don't need to flash your BIOS to run the 64x2 chip but it is a good time to check and do it if you are upgrading. Just my 2 cents.
Erm, yes, I do actually. My motherboard is an Acer EM61SM/PM. I'll go see what I can find, but Acer is usually pretty against customers doing upgrades themselves ;P

Thanks for the help you two. I'll order some thermal paste whilst I'm at it.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:30 PM

LordTraith is a cornerstone of the community LordTraith is a cornerstone of the community LordTraith is a cornerstone of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euantor View Post
I'll order some thermal paste whilst I'm at it.
Hey Euantor,

When you buy the new CPU it will come with a heatsink with thermal paste already on it.

If you still want to use your own thermal paste, make sure you fully remove the paste that is already on the heatsink using Isopropyl Alcohol and a smooth cloth.

When you apply the new thermal paste (to the CPU, not on the heatsink), make sure it's a smooth, level, paper-thin layer (using a razor to spread it out is your best bet!). Any more than that could cause seepage and damage to your CPU and Motherboard.

Have fun! ^_^
Old 05-03-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordTraith View Post
Hey Euantor,

When you buy the new CPU it will come with a heatsink with thermal paste already on it.

If you still want to use your own thermal paste, make sure you fully remove the paste that is already on the heatsink using Isopropyl Alcohol and a smooth cloth.

When you apply the new thermal paste (to the CPU, not on the heatsink), make sure it's a smooth, level, paper-thin layer (using a razor to spread it out is your best bet!). Any more than that could cause seepage and damage to your CPU and Motherboard.

Have fun! ^_^
Ok, thanks LordTraith. I didn't know this. I'll just leave ordering the paste right now then. CPU is getting ordered tomorrow :]

Last edited by Euantor : 05-03-2009 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:17 PM

LordTraith is a cornerstone of the community LordTraith is a cornerstone of the community LordTraith is a cornerstone of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euantor View Post
Ok, thanks LordTraith. i didn't know this. I'll just leave ordering the pste right now then. CPU is getting ordered tomorrow :]
NP I hope you enjoy your new CPU! ;D
Old 05-03-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordTraith View Post
NP I hope you enjoy your new CPU! ;D
I'm sure I will. At the minute, I can barely play HD videos and preforming any actions in most programs takes years. Time for a change.

Now just got to wait till it's ins tock in a UK based store Can't use Newegg because it's US only.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:05 AM
Enthusiast

rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community
HD vid is going to depend much more on GPU power than CPU. If you are any older than a higher-end Nvidia series 8 or ATi series 3 I wouldn't count on it running high def vid well even with the CPU change.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabb1t View Post
HD vid is going to depend much more on GPU power than CPU. If you are any older than a higher-end Nvidia series 8 or ATi series 3 I wouldn't count on it running high def vid well even with the CPU change.
The GPU's fine I believe, and HD videos run okay-ish. It's just that I have to close everything to play them lulz.