11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 04-25-2009, 05:59 PM
Guru

Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Help with Xbox LIVE
Since all i hear about Microsoft support is shoddy i'll ask here.

I have hooked up my 360 to my computer screen (using a VGA cable) so now my 360 uses my computer monitor for a TV. I did this all so I could stick a ethernet cable into my 360 so i could actually get onto LIVE. However when I attempt to run tests, my IP Address test fails. I'm getting my uncle (who is good with PCs) to check tommorow but any help on where to direct him would be good.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:04 PM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
When I first hooked my 360 up to my router, I did a full power-cycle of the whole shebang as follows. Note: Everything was connected properly, and I let everything fully power-up before I moved to the next step.
1.Cable Modem - this will also reset your IP address
2.Wireless Router
3.Xbox 360

LIVE popped right up. Your problem may be different (do you use some kind of router?) but if it's just an IP address thing, the above might help. Otherwise, wait for rabb1t to pop up and give you the correct answer.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:07 AM

WalterMondale is community member of note
I know I had trouble at first because my school network wouldn't assign my xbox an IP as it didnt recognize the MAC address. I just had to manually give the Xbox my PC's Mac address and the network thought it was my computer.

I'd recommend checking, if you're just using your own network, that you're router is assigning IP's to everything that connects to it, or you can always go my route, by changing your xbox's mac address to match your computer so your network can't tell which one is which. Though if you're connecting them both at the same time, you might have an issue.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:04 AM
Enthusiast

rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalgaidin View Post
Otherwise, wait for rabb1t to pop up and give you the correct answer.
I not know network things! Inside box I know, outside box I only know two things - working or broken.

Seriously, I've no clue why it would or would not show up. I do know that when I hooked up my PC/PS3/Wii to a router I did have to change some settings for it to see the network. Something about dynamic IP address or something? Let me look at the PS3 manual and see if I can refresh my memory.

Yeah, not much help. All I recall is I had to fiddle with some settings on this page and then it came up ok. I don't know how many of those apply to the Xbox 360.

May know someday once I recover though. I'm considering getting one if monies allow.

I'd be stumped if turning off the router, turning off the modem, connecting the Xbox 360, turning back on the modem, turning back on the router didn't auto-detect. (I believe that's the correct order.)
Old 04-26-2009, 04:10 AM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
When I connected my PS3, it auto-detected my router with no difficulty, although it had some issues connecting wirelessly. Didn't like other wireless connections being active at the same time, so I just used an ethernet cable. I connected my Wii through the wireless with no difficulty. Ditto for my MacBook (LOVE Airport, BTW).

In my experience the most common problem is a bad IP address, which should be solved by a power-cycle of your modem. Otherwise I'd contact your ISP and bug them.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:37 AM
Guru

Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Ok i figured out the problem. Earlier i tried to connect it to the wireless network via my laptop but it failed and i left the IP Address Auto Detector on MANUAL so it auto failed = P Anyway its all fixed now

On a side note though how can i get sound to come through?

*EDIT* Also is there a wayu to merge profiles? One has all the hardwork i have done with achivements but i can't connect to XBL as my hotmail is already in use and i don't want to go and reinvite everyone and start over

Last edited by Mishy : 04-26-2009 at 06:03 AM.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:57 PM

IceDingo has set foot on a distinguished road
With sound it's a bit more complicated. You need to get the RCA plugs (Red,White,Yellow) and connect them to speakers. If they're normal computer speakers you need an adapter from the Red and White RCA to a normal headphone jack. If you have an amplifier nearby that's already got speakers hooked up, you should be able to plug the Red and White right into it and it should work.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:29 PM

SINZAR is community member of note
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishy View Post

*EDIT* Also is there a wayu to merge profiles? One has all the hardwork i have done with achivements but i can't connect to XBL as my hotmail is already in use and i don't want to go and reinvite everyone and start over
Negative. Some games allow you to transfer the game saves between profiles, but you won't get the achievements with it. You're in the same boat as me, my offline account is my main one and the xbox live account is separate.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:29 PM
Enthusiast

rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDingo View Post
With sound it's a bit more complicated.
Which is one reason I recommend leaving the living room gaming in the living room and the PC on it's own.

The only way to get sound without a reciever would be to do something like go directly to a Logitech Z5500, which is not cheap at $303 (though it drops to $250 on occasion.) You'll also want to grab a digital audio cable for ~$13.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:24 PM
Guru

Sinzar i just found a way at http://www.xbox.com/en-AU/support/xb...ineprofile.htm

Rabb1t i would but then i can't get xbox live and that sorta thing. I'll probably get the Red / White RCA adapter to a normal headphone jack.

Would using a 2 way USB headphone set work?

Thanks for the help!