11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > General Gaming Discussion

Old 04-11-2009, 09:33 PM
Savant

revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED
Demigod
Posting in General because I wasn't sure what to technically classify the game as, although I guess it would fall under "Strategy Hybrid."

But yesterday I ended up snatching myself the lone copy of Demigod that my local Gamestop put on the shelf (which apparently they were all doing a few days early.....) While I wasn't sure if I was going to like an RPG/RTS Arena PvP hybrid...I did enjoy Stardock's game Sins of a Solar Empire and decided to give this try on a whim.

If you're into stuff like Defense of the Anicents, it's pretty similar in concept but still stands on its own as a pretty fun game. Pick one of 8 Demigods, join up with other ones divided into two teams (Light and Dark of course!) in strange looking Arenas and battle it out for different game play objectives.

It's interesting because there's two types of characters: Assassins and Generals. Assassins play as solo characters with skill trees of RPG-ish powers while Generals are characters with more of an RTS flavor to them as they summon troops and minions that they command and their skill trees are related thusly. Meanwhile there's portals throughout the maps and at your bases that keep spitting out allied NPC's that you can't control but they keep making a push for the objectives.

It does a pretty damn good job balancing the RPG/RTS elements to where there's little emphasis on resource management and keeps the unit micro-management fairly easy in order to keep the matches pretty fast paced and focussed on personal advancements and pushing towards map objectives. I'm hoping this game really catches on; could easily see it being popular in competitive tourneys.

Leader of Hamnation [PIG]
Member of the EYE Alliance
Check out my gaming blog: The Chaos Grenade
Old 04-12-2009, 03:32 AM

lhow89 has much to be proud of
this game looks really cool and might spark a new genre of games.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:03 AM

WalterMondale is community member of note
I've got my eye on it, but I don't think I feel like spending 50 bucks to try it out, no matter how much I like most of what Gas Powered Games has put out. I'll wait until it's 30 or something maybe. Seems to me like a mix between RTS, RPG, HacknSlash, and a bit of tower defense (Well you can't place the towers I don't think but yeah...)
Old 04-12-2009, 06:11 AM
Savant

revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED
Well starting off it's $40 if that helps :P But yeah I'd say keep an eye on it. I've been playing a ton of single player and trying to get a feel for all of the demigods.

Also found this site today....it's the page where they officially keep track of their Persistent online tournament "Pantheon". Still has the results from their final beta tourney posted:
http://pantheon.demigodthegame.com/

Gives good insight into the direction they're taking with the online multiplayer.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:12 AM
Savant

Anyone following this title:
Hold on to your money or be very, very patient.

The current internet/matchmaking setup has a lot of kinks to work out. A lot of us have resorted to using Hamachi (when it works for this game) over the ranked Internet games until the patches roll out (Which the Developers have told us will be out in the next week or so.)

I'm sticking with it but I'd figure I'd go ahead and let peeps know the honest current state of the game. Which sucks, I was really enjoying the single player and what matches I've managed to finish were pretty epic at the end.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:18 AM

WalterMondale is community member of note
I was afraid of that, I heard about Demigod like 1.5 years ago and I wasn't even aware it was about to come out till you posted this thread. It's kinda been flying beneath the radar and you always have to worry about those. I am, however, more interested in the game as a whole now, since i've gotten more time to research it. I'm just not interested in it at the moment. But thanks for the heads up about the state of the game.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:52 PM

DeStructive has set foot on a distinguished road
It looks lovely. Definitely going on my "buy it in 6 months" list.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:22 AM
Enthusiast

Thund3rball is a jewel in the community Thund3rball is a jewel in the community
^^ Agreed it looks pretty but all the gameplay vids just said meh to me. I might pick it up cheapy one day.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:52 AM
Savant, but with a star!

Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Sensational
The idea and concept of the game is fantastic. DotA is just a mod for a game. If Demigod was to receive the same amount of attention, or more, it could have a very bright future as an E-sport favorite. The game could easily be at the top of competitive online gaming if they support it with new heroes, proper balancing, new maps, new game modes and a quality tournament and online system.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:03 AM
Savant

Give it time, it could stand a chance at everything you said Sensational.The developers have been busting hard trying to fix the snafus of their matchmaking service and once that's cleared up, they're working on better clan oriented stuff, clan/organized play modes, new maps and we will for sure see at least two more demigods in the roster.

So far, the launch has been kind of a bomb but the companies involved have been very hands on with the community and keeping the level of transparency and communication going. Realistically, they're pretty accepting of the fact this probably won't be as big of a hit as Sins of a Solar Empire was due to their snafu'd launch, and the head of the company has been very accepting of the brunt of the blame.

If you guys check out this forum thread here, there's an almost half-hour video they made talking to different team members about the assorted problems and wtf they're doing to try to fix it. Even if you don't buy into it, I can't help but feel for these guys, cuz, well, it demonstrates they're only human and despite the success of Sins, they're not a major company like Blizzard (and lord fucking knows everyone and their dog has been trying to tell them how to act like one.)

http://forums.demigodthegame.com/348714