11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > Music Games

Old 04-22-2009, 12:03 AM
Enthusiast

bamaredwingsfan is a jewel in the community bamaredwingsfan is a jewel in the community
Rockband Lego
A guy from the Rockband Facebook community posted this today.

Quote:
This holiday season we are going to be treated to a more "family fun" style Rock Band with Lego Rock Band. Much like the PSP Rock Band 'Unplugged' it is going to be released with some exclusive tracks. Not much is known on how songs from the current Rock Band series will interact or vice versa, but an interesting launch none the less.

Here is more information in the official press release....

April 21, 2009 09:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time
Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, TT Games, The LEGO Group, Harmonix and MTV Games Announce LEGO® Rock Band®

Rhythm Based Music Game Snaps Together Best-Selling Franchises to Create Fun Family-Friendly Experience for All Ages

BURBANK, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and TT Games are joining forces with the LEGO Group, Harmonix and MTV Games, a part of Viacom’s MTV Networks (NYSE:VIA)(NYSE:VIA.B), to merge two of the most popular videogame franchises with the creation of LEGO® Rock Band®. The unique family-friendly music experience is currently in development by TT Games in partnership with Harmonix, and published by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. The game, which will allow families, tweens and teens to experience a wild journey to rock stardom where they can “Build a Band and Rock the Universe,” will be available for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system and Wii™ home videogame console. LEGO Rock Band for Nintendo DS™ will be co-developed by TT Games and Harmonix in partnership with Backbone Entertainment, a Foundation 9 Entertainment studio. All versions are scheduled for release holiday 2009.

LEGO Rock Band combines the multiplayer music experience of Rock Band® with the fun, customization and humor of the LEGO videogame franchise packed with brilliant chart-topping songs and classic favorites suitable for younger audiences, including:

Blur: “Song 2”
Carl Douglas: “Kung Fu Fighting”
Europe: “The Final Countdown”
Good Charlotte: “Boys and Girls”
Pink: “So What”

Players will become rockers as they embark on a journey to stardom that the whole family can enjoy as they work their way through local venues, stadiums and fantasy locations on Earth and beyond that mimic the imaginative settings that the LEGO world offers. Also continuing the LEGO “build-and-play” gaming experience, players will be able to create their own LEGO Rock Band style as they customize their minifigure avatars, band and entourage, including roadies, managers and crew. LEGO Rock Band supports Rock Band instruments, as well as other music game controllers.

“LEGO Rock Band combines two compelling properties and creates an experience that family members of all ages will enjoy playing together as a group,” said Tom Stone, Managing Director, TT Games. “Harmonix and MTV Games are the world experts in music gameplay, and we’re genuinely thrilled to bring the unique and humor-filled LEGO experience to their Rock Band universe.”

“We’re thrilled to offer another LEGO branded gaming experience that will deliver humorous and social play for families and friends,” said Henrik Taudorf Lorensen, Vice President, the LEGO Group. “LEGO Rock Band is built around the same values of imagination and family-friendly creative role play that is present in other LEGO videogames. It will deliver innovative new elements of game play that complement the fun of the Rock Band experience.”

“Rock Band is a social game experience that crosses every generation and every genre of rock,” said Bob Picunko, Senior Vice President of Electronic Games for MTV Games. “Harmonix and MTV Games are big fans of the LEGO game franchise and excited to work with TT Games to develop a new take on Rock Band that focuses on great music and LEGO humor that’s fun for the whole family.”
Old 04-22-2009, 12:46 AM
Enthusiast

Thund3rball is a jewel in the community Thund3rball is a jewel in the community
“LEGO Rock Band combines two compelling properties and creates an experience that family members of all ages will enjoy playing together as a group,...”

I hate to tell them this, but the whole family was already enjoying RB as is. It's not like it features questionable content or adult themes. I'm not sure I would have gone this direction with RB if I was making the decisions. Do families really want Lego RB? Will they buy it because it's Lego RB, or just because it's more tracks to play? That is the stat that will likely not be easy to filter imo. Lego Rock Band... the blending of two properties for the sake of blending two properties. All they need to do is give us good track lists and maybe some cool new feature. I also like the idea of Beatles RB etc... makes total sense. But Lego... what's next, Star Wars Rock Band?
Old 04-22-2009, 01:04 AM
GDNA Community Manager

QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence
Send a message via AIM to QforQ Send a message via MSN to QforQ Send a message via Skype™ to QforQ
Star Wars Rock Band wouldn't make sense because that's a Movie IP..where Lego is just a toy. It'd be more like... GI Joe Rock Band :P

Anyways....

I think it makes sense to do this. Harmonix needs to make money and still compete with Activision, a company who is coming out with close to 10 different Music Game SKUs (at least) this year. Harmonix will release Rock Band Unplugged for the PSP, Lego Rock Band (for the kids/younger audiences) and then Beatles Rock Band.

I think you will see Lego Rock Band be a different experience than regular Rock Band. Harmonix understands that it can't just be a music game with some new models in it - It has to be that IP from the ground up.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:25 AM
Enthusiast

GI Joe Rock Band FTW! lol

I would be inclined to believe Lego RB is going to be something totally different if that's what they were actually saying about it, but statements like this have "generic Rock Band with Lego people" spelled out in boldface type imo.

"LEGO Rock Band combines the multiplayer music experience of Rock Band® with the fun, customization and humor of the LEGO videogame franchise..."

So how is it Activision can crank out the Metallica, Van Halen, Aerosmith etc... games and RB gets The Beatles and... Lego? Why isn't Harmonix out hunting down more chart topping IPs? Look at this slide...

http://www.shacknews.com/screenshots..._id=#img133031

Notice anything? RB has 3 games, GH has more than I can count at a quick glance. WTF Harmonix, you want to survive you need to:

1. Make your instruments work with GH.
2. Release real games your fanbase wants, not watered down kiddie blends.

I want Harmonix to succeed, I like my RB instruments, I generally like the current library of music, I don't want to go have to go GH just to enjoy a greater library of fun... but they are not helping the situation imo.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:44 AM
Savant

LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to LordXenophon
What the industry really needs is a program which can interpret any music CD you put into it and use it with the game. Whoever invents that will be a billionaire.

It is by the force of will alone I set my mind in motion.
The juice of Coffee quickens the mind.
The desk aquires a stain.
The stain becomes a warning.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:47 AM
Enthusiast

bamaredwingsfan is a jewel in the community bamaredwingsfan is a jewel in the community
Personally, i would rather see them come up with some DLC other than another music sku. Like new clothes, instruments, character templates, ect. Now, more music DLC is never a bad thing. One thing i would have changed in Rockband AC/DC edition, would have been unlockable characters an special instruments or something.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:30 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaredwingsfan View Post
Personally, i would rather see them come up with some DLC other than another music sku. Like new clothes, instruments, character templates, ect. Now, more music DLC is never a bad thing. One thing i would have changed in Rockband AC/DC edition, would have been unlockable characters an special instruments or something.
Agreed more decent content works for me too. But I am also up for new SKU's if they are good. Chinese Democracy??? When GH announces Van Halen, RB wants me to be excited about an abysmal album that nobody ever listened to? 0.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordXenophon View Post
What the industry really needs is a program which can interpret any music CD you put into it and use it with the game. Whoever invents that will be a billionaire.
Well with bands like Metallica who want to collect a royalty every time you play the darn game... it's not a matter of creating software that can do that, it's everything else to do with IP.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:25 PM
Enthusiast

Now this is what I am talking about. Harmonies in Beatles RB! That is sweet.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2...rs-say-yes.ars

The other thing Harmonix can do to make me feel loved is either:

1. Cheap mic stand that fits the mic.
2. New mics that fit regular mic stands (which I have).
Old 04-22-2009, 07:55 PM
Savant

LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to LordXenophon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thund3rball View Post
Well with bands like Metallica who want to collect a royalty every time you play the darn game... it's not a matter of creating software that can do that, it's everything else to do with IP.
That attitude is harming the industry more than it is helping. Metallica needs to get over that idea and focus on royalties from sales. With my idea, you would need to own a copy of their CD if you want to play to their music. It might even encourage sales of old albumbs which are being converted to CD format and republished. Metallica can make plenty of money that way. The game company would no longer need to deal with Metallica's bleep and could focus on selling us 500 different instruments for their game.

An example of a technological advance which would NOT be to their advantage would be the ability to play the game using real musical instruments. It would be cool, people would buy it and it would be a huge hit, but then nobody would buy plastic game instruments anymore.

For the same reason, a mic stand to fit their mics is much more likely than a new mic to fit your stands.

The juice of Coffee quickens the mind.
The desk aquires a stain.
The stain becomes a warning.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:40 PM
Enthusiast

Totally agree. Metallica is thinking in the terms of the music industry of old. It's really a shame and I find it difficult to wrap my head around. Here's a band that came onto the scene with their rebel yell (many years ago), but when it comes to them they are the epitome of what's wrong with the music industry today. A complete lack of willingness to embrace the new mediums and find new models that will let the industry thrive. Instead they fight and they fight for the wave that they have all been riding for 50 years that has all but dissipated now.

Look at NIN. Reznor is the shit when it comes to working the technology. And do you think his sales are suffering for it? I don't think so. I am not an advocate of pirating, and I have been in my fair share of discussions over it, but according to a study (link below) it seems the music pirates are the ones most likely to actually buy music. They use the file sharing to preview the content and if it's to their liking they actually buy it. It's hard to argue with the ability to test drive before you buy. And it certainly lets consumers practice caveat emptor, and in fact puts the onus on music publishers and creators to release content people will want. That's the real problem no-one is willing to address, except for a small handfull like the Reznor's of the industry.

http://arstechnica.com/media/news/20...rage-folks.ars

As for using real instruments for Rock Band type games... I don't know if I see the point. It crosses the line of casual fun game to serious users only. Not too mention, it is already pretty easy to play along with the music if you know how to play. So I can't see this taking off for fun reasons. And interactive teaching tools are already out there too. Not sure how good they are but the concept is not new.