11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 01-21-2009, 03:03 AM
Enthusiast

rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community
3d Gaming
Patch 3.0.8 for Warcraft went live today, and among the additions is support for Nvidia's GeForce 3D Vision. "Playing games in 3D?! Woooaaahhh how can I do that?" you ask. Well, as much as we'd all love to jump right on that action, as there are tons which support Nvidia's GeForce 3D Vision, it won't be as simple as you may think. First, you'll need to pick up the special glasses, which right now run $200. Next, you'll need a special type of 120 Hz PC screen or DLP type HDTV. While there are many HDTVs which run at this speed, not all use DLP. The site only references 2 PC monitors which are currently compatible. I'm hoping that reported number will go up in the coming days, but it seems in all likelihood nearly everyone is not compatible with their current monitors. Those of you on tube style CRTs may be in luck though, as many of those should exceed the 100 Hz necessary for CRT use. Third, you'll need a pretty powerful Nvidia graphics card, as the technology effectively cuts frame rate in half. (Half of the images go to each eye.) Lastly, you'll need to be on Windows Vista (or newer.) I'll keep my site updated on info on this, as this is pretty exciting stuff, though it will likely remain bleeding edge for quite some time.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/GeForce...sion_Main.html

Looks like there are a ton of compatible games out there. WoW is the first one I've heard about though. (I'd heard about the glasses from CES news.)
Last edited by rabb1t : 01-23-2009 at 07:33 PM. Reason: text update
Old 04-07-2009, 12:48 AM

blackpandemic has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to blackpandemic
Much like the 3D movie buzz, it's all gimmick to me. I don't want things flying at my face when I'm trying to play a game or watch a movie. It's just, gimmicks to make kids excited IMO.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:06 AM
Enthusiast

koji042 has set foot on a distinguished road
I agree that it's kinda gimmicky, 'specially considering that you need a TV that is able to handle the technology in order to use it. Still, I've heard some people say that it's pretty amazing a sight to behold, so I'll withhold my doubts until it becomes more widespread.

I actually think it would be pretty fun to have things popping out at me... just don't like the idea of having to wear 3D glasses on top of my current ones. -_-
Old 04-08-2009, 10:16 PM
Enthusiast

rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by koji042 View Post
I agree that it's kinda gimmicky, 'specially considering that you need a TV that is able to handle the technology in order to use it.
Yes and no. It's a speed/tech required to handle that kind of 3D. It's not exclusive to Nvidia.

Now the solution ATi is supposedly working on, that apparently does use an exclusive tech in the monitor. Not much news on it yet though.

Quote:
I actually think it would be pretty fun to have things popping out at me... just don't like the idea of having to wear 3D glasses on top of my current ones. -_-
Get contacts.

Seriously though, if you haven't seen 3D in a while go see Monsters vs. Aliens. Wholy poop has 3D gotten good lately.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:59 AM

MRXBOXnVANBC MRXBOXnVANBC MRXBOXnVANBC
YA 3d is Soon 2b the Way
It sounds made up , but have u heard they are Working on 6D technology . It will give the appearance of thing between u and your TV ! Like u are apart of the Action !
Old 04-12-2009, 03:45 AM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
Uh, 6D? What are those extra 3 dimensions?

There are the main dimensions: Height, Width, Depth, and Time. Any dimensions above that are purely theoretical.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:37 AM

LordTraith is a cornerstone of the community LordTraith is a cornerstone of the community LordTraith is a cornerstone of the community
I've actually had the privilege to try out nVidia's new technology at a local computer part store.

All I have to say is this: If THAT is the future, sign me up for a dozen!

I don't know if any of you have seen some of those new True-3D movies (which also use the 120hz technology), but it does the same things for games that it does for movies.

I was able to play Burnout: Paradise on the demo machine for about 15 minutes. The menus and everything looked just like normal, but as soon as you got into actual gameplay, it was amazing!

That said, it's certainly not perfect yet... Towards the top and edges of the screen you could see some splitting of the images... It kind of whacked out on the edges, and you could see double on the top. But I'm sure they'll have a solution for it at some point.

My verdict: Don't go out and buy it right now, but certainly keep an eye on it. It can only get better!
Last edited by LordTraith : 04-25-2009 at 11:18 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:04 PM

IceDingo has set foot on a distinguished road
I think it would be really good to be able to do this but it's so expensive, glasses and a new monitor and possibly a new graphics card. I've played TMF in 3D but it was the red and blue glasses.

It's good for a few minutes but I wouldn't use it all the time. If you were colourblind and could only see grayscale it would be good but since it's red and blue, all the colours get screwed up.

Good 3D though like this would be good but it's just too expensive right now. Wait a few months or maybe a couple of years and they will have the tech just right and it will be affordable.