11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 03-12-2009, 01:00 AM
gamerDNA Regina Omnipotens

Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to Roxianna Send a message via MSN to Roxianna Send a message via Yahoo to Roxianna
Question Which mini for me?
It's almost birthday time and like a true nerd, I have decided I'd like to have a kitchen computer. I am looking at the Dell and HP minis with 9 inch screens.

Does anyone have recommendations for me? All I will be doing is using a browser with standard plug-ins--no apps at all.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:30 AM
Enthusiast

rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community
You only want to look at the Asus 1000HE at $375.

Rated as the best keyboard, 10" screen, 160 gig HD, Bluetooth, /n network type, and massive 9 cell battery (others cap at 6).

It's also often times cheaper than things like the Dell which offer fewer/lower features at a higher price.

You'll also want to consider:
OCZ 2 gig ~$25
A cool sticker like this one I'll be getting ~$15 (search by "Asus 1000 decal" or "decal girl")
and a external DVD reader/burner ~$50 to install stuff on if you can't install it over a network connection. (I know some of my programs will only allow you to install to the default drive, but those are all pretty much 4+ years old at this point.)

I'ma get me one ASAP.

Just ask if ya got any questions. I've been heavily following them (all netbooks) over the past 8.5 months that I've been homeless.
Last edited by rabb1t : 03-13-2009 at 12:48 AM. Reason: poo, ram no longer on sale for $10 cheaper
Old 03-13-2009, 12:49 AM
Enthusiast

rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community
Are you also aware of the Eee Box? It's effectively the same thing but in desktop form. You'd have to add on a monitor, mouse and keyboard though.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:54 PM
Savant

Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Hagan
Something cheap, nasty, easily cleaned and comes with as few frills as possible. After all, why spend the money on something you'll use maybe 5-10% of any given day? (Like I really needed to say that though).

Not sure of the range of Samsung mini-s in the 'States' but they do seem to do a good range (even if they are horrid colours) in the EU. Also, if it comes with built in Bluetooth and Wifi, see if you can disable either without disabling both. Why have both running if you only need the one?

Brands that seem to have a good rep:
Samsungs
Dells (Feel ill just saying that)
Asus pc's and notebooks
And funnily enough, Acer... not sure I beleive it though.

Shop around, read reviews, yadda-yadda... be warned though, some do come with Linux pre-installed, trying to pass the off as a 'quality professional product'.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:45 PM

Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to Roxianna Send a message via MSN to Roxianna Send a message via Yahoo to Roxianna
Great posts folks. I ended up buying the Asus 1000HE this morning. $6.99 for Saturday delivery woot! I'll have it tomorrow.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:40 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxianna View Post
Great posts folks. I ended up buying the Asus 1000HE this morning. $6.99 for Saturday delivery woot! I'll have it tomorrow.
Woot! You'll have to tell teh bunny how much you the 1000HE, especially if you load up WoW. There are a few youtube videos of Eee PCs that seem ok on lower settings, particularly once you boost the ram to 2 gig.

Hopefully I'll be ordering mine 4 weeks from now.

Asus 1000H running WoW
Old 03-13-2009, 11:41 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagan
Something cheap, nasty, easily cleaned and comes with as few frills as possible.
It depends on what you are using it for and how much cheaper. As I think I mentioned, the 1000HE, which has a better battery than all of them, /n WiFi type, Bluetooth, and one of the best keyboards, is literally only a few dollars more than the older, weaker, lower battery types with poo for screen size. Yeah, just glancing at the Eee PCs, it's ~$300 for the 9" screen size models with batteries that last about half as long. It just makes no sense to save that $75 and get so much less.

Quote:
After all, why spend the money on something you'll use maybe 5-10% of any given day? (Like I really needed to say that though).
Many business reviers are very quick to point out that the older battery charges of only a few hours won't last you even one day if you have a couple hour commute and forget to charge the battery. With the 8+ hour charge of the 1000HE it's not going to be an issue. (Or if you are taking it on a longer flight where you have no option to charge it for the entire flight.)

Quote:
Not sure of the range of Samsung mini-s in the 'States' but they do seem to do a good range (even if they are horrid colours) in the EU. Also, if it comes with built in Bluetooth and Wifi, see if you can disable either without disabling both. Why have both running if you only need the one?
Samsung is 10% more expensive than the 1000HE over here, and it has a lower capacity battery type and older processor. (Though some reviewers mention there is no difference between the 270 vs. 280 processor, I can't help but think that the difference in buss speed will be a bigger deal for gaming. The 280 processor uses 667 speeds while the 270 processor used in pretty much all notebooks runs at 533.)

Quote:
Brands that seem to have a good rep:
Samsungs
Dells (Feel ill just saying that)
Asus pc's and notebooks
And funnily enough, Acer... not sure I beleive it though.
There's also the MSI Wind (the first netbook I believe). However, Dell is vastly more expensive at closer to the $600 range. Acer is around the same price, but again, lower/older features.

If someone were looking at the $600 range I'd recommend holding out until Summer and looking at the Nvidia Ion based gaming netbooks. The Asus N10J is an early preview of what those can do, but it's behind a bit on battery power compared to the others and there is reference the 9300M is still capped by the CPU. The Nvidia Ion has been shown running 1080p video with no problem as well as gaming at 1920x1080 (but only with lower settings at 20-30 FPS, still a far cry above what the current netbooks do though.)

Asus beat Wind back in the early days and they've been holding on to that lead. The other netbook people really haven't posed much of a challenge in pricing or features, they just offer more selections in terms of manufacturer.

Quote:
Shop around, read reviews, yadda-yadda... be warned though, some do come with Linux pre-installed, trying to pass the off as a 'quality professional product'.
Linux is fine if you know how to use it. (Most don't even know what it is.) If not go with XP. A few do have Vista and those I might warn against simply because I believe it takes a bit more juice to run (in terms of processing power), but there are videos out there of them running on Win 7 just fine, so who knows.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:34 AM
Enthusiast

Why are there no happy / excited review words here yet? ?
Old 03-19-2009, 06:03 PM

I love my new Asus EeePC. Thanks so much for the recommendation. I followed Rabb1t's link to Amazon and grabbed it for $354. (Prolly $100 of that was for XP.)

The only software we use on it is Firefox and the usual suspects as far as plug-ins. I made every family member a user account. The computer lives on the kitchen table and anyone can grab it to get email, look something up or what have you.

My grandaughter can now play her games while I cook. She's only five and doesn't want to be left alone elsewhere in the house. Her favorite site is girlsgogames which is all Flash. (I taught how to skip past ads.)

Because I only intend to run a browser and virus software on it, I just went with the factory 1gig of RAM. So far I have great performance.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:04 AM
Enthusiast

You got it for teh cheap. Normally it's been hovering around the $375 range and I've seen it spike to $400. (Yesterday it was around $390 )

Yeah, the Windows license is a lot of the cost, but even the Linux ones aren't a whole lot cheaper. (And apparently Linux doesn't always play well with programs.)

You should give Free Realms a look. It looks really roxor for teh free. (Free to play and free to download.) I signed up for beta but haven't gotten in yet. I think it's due out in Spring or Summer. There's adventuring, pets, matching mini games, a diablo like game, and a CCG. It looks like lots of fun and should be playable easily on a netbook.

Lots of videos on it here - http://www.gametrailers.com/game/5318.html

You may want to consider the bump to 2 gig. Even though you are just browsing it would speed things up on the more graphic intense or media intense sights. Up to you, but it is only ~$25.

Oh, how long did the initial charge time take? I take it you had to plug it in and let it charge to a full battery before using it?