11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > gamerDNA.com > Support

Old 02-16-2009, 04:01 AM
Savant

revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED
Experience Imports?
Just curious, I recently changed my blog site over from Drupal back to Wordpress, and was going to configure my feeds on GamerDNA when I discovered the new layout and setup. I can't find anyplace to "import experiences" as we used; which is a shame considering it seems now we can read new blog posts on GamerDNA when our friends post them. I really liked being able to share game related blogs on my GamerDNA account without having to repost....will this feature return?

Leader of Hamnation [PIG]
Member of the EYE Alliance
Check out my gaming blog: The Chaos Grenade
Old 02-16-2009, 07:29 AM
GDNA Community Manager

QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence
Send a message via AIM to QforQ Send a message via MSN to QforQ Send a message via Skype™ to QforQ
We had to remove this feature due to the taxes that it put on the site as a result of some site members abusing the feature. For example, some people were importing the New York Times RSS feed, Kotaku RSS feed, Joystiq RSS feed, etc. This added up to tens of thousands of imported articles for one person.

At this time I believe that the development team does not plan on adding it back in.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:27 PM
gamerDNA Staff

ChangeAgent is a paragon of the community ChangeAgent is a paragon of the community ChangeAgent is a paragon of the community ChangeAgent is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to ChangeAgent Send a message via Yahoo to ChangeAgent Send a message via Skype™ to ChangeAgent
Yeah QforQ is right... It was just too massive of a system that was being abused by many and only really used by a few. I agree it was a cool feature, but it was not something we could devote a ton of time to and get it right. It was like trying to write an RSS aggregator in our spare time... so we had to pull the plug on it a few months back.

| VP/Products - GamerDNA.com| Founder/Creator - 360voice.com| Blogger - Trappermarkelz.com |
Old 02-16-2009, 03:04 PM
Savant

revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED
Ah damn that sucks. Leave it to the masses to ruin a good thing for us small timers lol.

Leader of Hamnation [PIG]
Member of the EYE Alliance
Check out my gaming blog: The Chaos Grenade
Old 02-16-2009, 07:15 PM
Enthusiast

WayneMSmith is a jewel in the community WayneMSmith is a jewel in the community
Send a message via MSN to WayneMSmith
Would it be possible to bring it back with a pull per hour limit on it? That way even if they added those blogs it would only pull a couple per hour, till they could be removed.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:00 PM
gamerDNA Staff

ChangeAgent is a paragon of the community ChangeAgent is a paragon of the community ChangeAgent is a paragon of the community ChangeAgent is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to ChangeAgent Send a message via Yahoo to ChangeAgent Send a message via Skype™ to ChangeAgent
The abuse of it pulling was one aspect... the other aspect is just handling all the content and all the different formats... RSS 1.0 vs 2.0 vs Atom... and then people try putting all sorts of crazy stuff in their blog software like OBJECT and EMBED and then handling images, etc.

In general, when we looked at our feature road map... we liked the feature, but it just isn't long term supportable with all the other things we have to focus on. So we made a decision to pull it out to focus on other things.

| VP/Products - GamerDNA.com| Founder/Creator - 360voice.com| Blogger - Trappermarkelz.com |
Old 02-17-2009, 08:26 PM
Savant

Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community
Send a message via ICQ to Retodon8 Send a message via MSN to Retodon8 Send a message via Yahoo to Retodon8 Send a message via Skype™ to Retodon8
If gDNA could support custom widgets on people's profile pages, they could add Flash news aggregators that wouldn't impact the site itself.
Outside news feeds are separate from actual gDNA content anyway, so a loose module could do just fine.

(I mostly use Mozilla Thunderbird (Windows client) and iGoogle (Website) to find the news needs I'm interested in.)