11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > RPG/Action/Adventure

Old 02-05-2009, 02:37 PM
Savant

revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED
Yeah NWN1 was the game I'd be praising. I own NWN2 but probably haven't spent much more than a few hours in. Camera controls are horrible; engine bogs down even power house rigs, crashes to desktop...it's nowhere near as awesome as its almost decade-old predecessor, which is still heavily supported in the community.

typochondriac:
I saw one flaw in your statement: Where the heck did you get the notion that Baldur's Gate got its ideas from NWN? If you're referring to BG maybe pulling inspiration to the original graphical MUD that was played over AOL.......I might see your point, kinda, but not really.....

BG was published long before NWN1 and spawned many other games using its engine (BG2, Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment) and NWN was sort of an evolved next step from those games.

Matter of fact, last I checked there were still more Persistent-World servers up for NWN1 than 2.

Leader of Hamnation [PIG]
Member of the EYE Alliance
Check out my gaming blog: The Chaos Grenade
Old 02-05-2009, 10:43 PM
Enthusiast

koji042 has set foot on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by revlazaro View Post
Yeah NWN1 was the game I'd be praising. I own NWN2 but probably haven't spent much more than a few hours in. Camera controls are horrible; engine bogs down even power house rigs, crashes to desktop...it's nowhere near as awesome as its almost decade-old predecessor, which is still heavily supported in the community.
Ah cool, thanks for the information.

I'll try ordering a copy from Amazon when the chance comes around.
Last edited by koji042 : 02-06-2009 at 05:50 AM.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:48 AM

typochondriac has set foot on a distinguished road
Quote:
typochondriac:
I saw one flaw in your statement: Where the heck did you get the notion that Baldur's Gate got its ideas from NWN? If you're referring to BG maybe pulling inspiration to the original graphical MUD that was played over AOL.......I might see your point, kinda, but not really.....

BG was published long before NWN1 and spawned many other games using its engine (BG2, Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment) and NWN was sort of an evolved next step from those games.
You're quite right about the chronology, rev, and I'm sorry I misspoke.
NWN was published two years after Baldur's Gate.

I s'pose how I should have worded it was: While BG came first, NWN was the height of achievement for that particular vision for BioWare. I'm not talking engines here - of course BW stuck with the engine they used for the BG series - I'm talking storylines, in-game features, etc (which are vastly different in some way, yes, but also in so many way nearly flawless evolutions of BG features). While the roles were BG > NWN in the beginning, I think BG2 was a perfect example of the teacher becoming the student. And I know! BG2 was released before NWN, too! But, I think it's important to remember that both series were developed by BioWare...

Anyway, my point is that I really worded my previous statement wrongly
and I can certainly see why my saying BG got all their ideas from NWN
might've sounded... well, very stupid. Silly, too-quickly-replying me.

Either way, they're both great games.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:44 AM
Savant

revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED
Quote:
Originally Posted by typochondriac View Post

Anyway, my point is that I really worded my previous statement wrongly
and I can certainly see why my saying BG got all their ideas from NWN
might've sounded... well, very stupid. Silly, too-quickly-replying me.
Nah no biggy. Wasn't trying to call you out but mostly just wanted to check my own facts....didn't know if NWN was something long in development before BG or any other weird possible quirks

Leader of Hamnation [PIG]
Member of the EYE Alliance
Check out my gaming blog: The Chaos Grenade
Old 02-06-2009, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Nah no biggy. Wasn't trying to call you out but mostly just wanted to check my own facts....didn't know if NWN was something long in development before BG or any other weird possible quirks
I totally understand. I would've done the same thing!

-Molly
Old 02-06-2009, 06:44 AM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
Since I haven't gotten into WRPGs until recently (with Oblivion and Fallout 3) most of my frame of reference are JRPGs. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with the 16bit era. Final Fantasy 4 & 6, Secret of Mana, Illusion of Gaia, Soulblazer, Secret of Evermore, Actraiser, Chrono Trigger, Phantasy Star series, Super Mario RPG, Earthbound, all of these are great games and I'm sure you could find them somewhere.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalgaidin View Post
Since I haven't gotten into WRPGs until recently (with Oblivion and Fallout 3) most of my frame of reference are JRPGs. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with the 16bit era. Final Fantasy 4 & 6, Secret of Mana, Illusion of Gaia, Soulblazer, Secret of Evermore, Actraiser, Chrono Trigger, Phantasy Star series, Super Mario RPG, Earthbound, all of these are great games and I'm sure you could find them somewhere.
I love the Phantasy Star series! And it reminds me (thinking of DC RPGs):
Skies of Arcadia would totally be number 3 on my favorites list.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:17 AM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
Can't believe I left out Skies!

Force choke me, please.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalgaidin View Post
Can't believe I left out Skies!

Force choke me, please.
Haha... Well, I'd love to oblige, but I forgot it, too...

I think there's only one solution here:
We should Force kick each other in the shin at the same time.

1, 2, 3... GO!
Old 02-08-2009, 10:47 PM

Shiiro has much to be proud of
I'd have to say my faves are Chrono Trigger and Breath of Fire III. PS1 games, but they're amazing. :P