11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Hodge Podge

Old 02-01-2009, 01:18 PM
Savant

Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community
Send a message via ICQ to Retodon8 Send a message via MSN to Retodon8 Send a message via Yahoo to Retodon8 Send a message via Skype™ to Retodon8
I'm in synch with you on that post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensational View Post
Very well, I'm not saying that you shouldn't, just that I don't and that most people are hypocrites when it comes to this issue. When Bambi dies they care, when a little insect gets stomped on they don't give a shit.
I'm not a vegetarian, so I supposed you could call me a hypocrite too.
I am someone who would rather carefully pick up a spider and put it outside than step on it.
I'm sure how I've been raised has something to do with it, as I would sooner see most people scrape something now indeterminable from their shoe.

Quote:
We are animals but also better.
That depends on your definition of better.
We're the smartest animals on the planet, but when you look at our other skills, there's usually some animal much better at it.
If you just say "better" without specifying, (to me) it implies you're thinking about deeper, perhaps meaning-of-life kind of stuff.
I personally believe there is no meaning but what give to it yourself, making the word "better" in such a general sense more or less meaningless, if that makes sense.

Quote:
Using other animals for our purposes is a part of nature. It's not like the lion cares if the gazelle has to suffer while he sinks his teeth into it's neck. In the same way, it's not like we're actually trying to make animals suffer when we slaughter them (Well, most of us wouldn't), and while we are more complex, more intelligent, it would seem that caring about lesser animals is not part of our basic programming. I'd say it's more of a culture thing TBH.
Agreed.
Humans sort of stepped out of nature when they became intelligent enough, and that's where culture kicks in.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:52 PM
Savant, but with a star!

Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Sensational
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retodon8 View Post
That depends on your definition of better.
We're the ones writing stuff on the internet, and not out hunting with our instincts in the middle of the jungle because that is all we know and all we can ever be. Which is what I would call "better".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retodon8 View Post
Agreed.
Humans sort of stepped out of nature when they became intelligent enough, and that's where culture kicks in.
Only time will tell if culture is compensating or if it's simply a phase, I still think that the whole "Lets all be friends, everyone is equal, including animals (Unless they're ugly), violence is horrible bla bla bla" mentality that is becoming increasingly popular is a silly concept.