11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 01-17-2009, 02:01 PM

Afterburner has much to be proud of
Data transfer question
A little bit of a story before the question...

I've had an x360 20 gig for about 2 years now. No real problems with it except for some disk read problems that would involve opening/closing the tray a couple of times before it would read. I went and bought a new one last night, mostly for the increased hd capacity and hdmi. My question is this: Is there any way I can transfer game data from the 20 gig to the new 60 gig drive? I ask because I've got some serious time invested on several games that I really don't want to go and do all over again...

Old 01-17-2009, 03:13 PM
Enthusiast

PrivateSniper is a cornerstone of the community PrivateSniper is a cornerstone of the community PrivateSniper is a cornerstone of the community
I don't know anything about the 360, but you should be able to do this, you might need to network it with a pc and use ftp maybe?
Old 01-17-2009, 08:16 PM
Enthusiast

WayneMSmith is a jewel in the community WayneMSmith is a jewel in the community
Send a message via MSN to WayneMSmith
Okay so it should have come with a data transfer cable. I know the 120gb packs do for certain. If it did not you have two options. One you can buy on off ebay or find a friend who has one. Even if they have used it before it will work. Your second option is to go on xbox.com and I am almost certain they have a thing where they will send you the transfer kit. I will check and private message you what I find.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:12 PM
Savant

Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community
Send a message via ICQ to Retodon8 Send a message via MSN to Retodon8 Send a message via Yahoo to Retodon8 Send a message via Skype™ to Retodon8
I found the following document through Xbox.com:
Hard-Drive Transfer Kit for the Xbox 360 Elite System
Then select "How to Get Your Free TransferCable (PDF)" from the menu on the left, or the other menu items for some more info about the process.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:23 PM

Guys...

Thanks for the replies. I called xbox support and the migration cable is on it's way, for FREE. I like that part. Usually they get you somehow, but not this time. Maybe the mods should put together a little guide for this and stick it up top. Just a thought...

Thanks again, guys.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:04 PM
Enthusiast

rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afterburner View Post
Usually they get you somehow, but not this time.
They got you when you bought a second 360.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabb1t View Post
They got you when you bought a second 360.
I stand corrected. Point taken. Actually, I didn't need to buy the second 360. I suppose I could've sent my first one for dvd drive replacement, but the hd was almost full and I guess that was my justification for the second one. Well, that and the hdmi capability....

Old 01-18-2009, 10:08 PM
Enthusiast

rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community
The HDMI is a vaild change, but what I meant by 'they got you by getting a second' was that you could have (I believe) easily gotten a new drive by itself and just swapped it out.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:25 PM

Cormyre has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Cormyre Send a message via AIM to Cormyre Send a message via MSN to Cormyre Send a message via Yahoo to Cormyre
I'm on system 3 myself, once you get your data transfer cable the transfer should be quick and painless barring poorly timed power outages lol

At least back when the Elites came out it was M$s mentality that people would not want to upgrade to the elite, that people buying the elites would be new customers, boy were they wrong. But evidently it's still more cost effective to them to ship the data xfer cable to people who request it instead of including it in the new systems. I'm pretty sure if you were to purchase the HDD by itself from them it would come with the xfer cable.