11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Hodge Podge

Old 12-23-2008, 04:08 PM
Savant

Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Hagan
I Live (or at least, I'm still breathing)
How do lads/lasses/others...

As some of you know, I'm in Ireland at the moment, visiting relatives (Mum and Granddad) over the festive period, with only my DS for gaming (and as you can prob guess, I forgot to pack more than one game).

I'm getting cold sweats and withdrawl symptoms, and keep trying to use the satelite remote control to help England against India in the cricket (think Wii remote). I'm not exactly known for my sanity as it is, and as you can imagine, I've had a discrete visit from the local psychologist, asking my I keep saying "pwned" when we can't get the fire lit.

Finally got the net up and running here, via the use of a wireless modem (very posh and fancy), and windows auto update (which I forgot to turn off) ate the first 40mb of our 50mb daily allowance on bandwidth. Damn you Gates, you may have retired but your still a pain in my arse!

Anyone see that brilliant display the other week with Bush? That reporter is a genius who has saved the games industry... know why?

He's invented the First Person Shoe-ter.... Thankyou, and goodnight (try the fish).

Back tomorrow... later guys.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:27 PM
gamerDNA Regina Omnipotens

Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to Roxianna Send a message via MSN to Roxianna Send a message via Yahoo to Roxianna
LOL great postcard. Keep them coming.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:24 PM

doxxan is community member of note
Great, atleast the voices will find company!

Welcome, enjoy your stay =)

"What is darkness? It doesn't exist where there's light, and without light, it's nothing..."
Old 12-23-2008, 11:08 PM
Savant

Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community
Send a message via ICQ to Retodon8 Send a message via MSN to Retodon8 Send a message via Yahoo to Retodon8 Send a message via Skype™ to Retodon8
You are entertainment!
Thanks for the update, and I hope you'll find a way to have a good time even without games.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:32 AM
Must Be Evil

Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
/wave
Hi Hagan! I've missed you!
Old 12-24-2008, 07:09 PM
Savant

Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED
And back (briefly).

Ireland is as its always been. Plenty of country side, and all the applicable smells that go with it... despite living here for 3 years, that first breath of air when you get here always catches me out.

I mean, we've all used the bathroom after our fathers on a sunday morning at one point or another... and in a confined space, you just have to accept it, hold your breath and pray to god you can do your business quick and get out before your lungs explode and you have to breath again.

Imagine that smell all around you, in broad daylight, out where the fresh air is supposed to be... with nowhere to retreat too. Its a scent I've come to know as "Welcome to Ireland, Enjoy your stay". Thankfully you get used to it... or carry round an aqualung.

Bought my Granddad and Mum a new PC, the old one sounded like it was about to cough up a lung, so one swift back-up later and they are good to go. Its a decent enough machine too, can handle X3 Terran conflict or Fallout 3 with most the settings on high (although I don't know this for sure as I have neither with me, I just remember thier specs).

I find it hard to make any jokes of current events, as almost all the news reported here is Irish (and wont make much sense). So I'll leave you with a few jokes I heard earlier today:

Whats round and bad tempered?
- A vicious circle.

Why do penguins avoid Britain?
- Because they are afraid of Wales.

Anyway, time for food... back in the new year (ish).
Old 01-09-2009, 04:45 PM
Savant

Well, my 6 weeks is up this Sunday when I make the rather tedious 6 hour trip home through airport security (actual travelling time is about 3.2 hours). Its been an interesting trip for various reasons. My Granddad Mike is feeling better, his medication has been dropped down to 1/4 of what it was. His earlier chest infection has cleared up and he's now being the elderly letch I know and emulate.
My mums doing better, balancing her diet with her diabetes (now that she knows she IS diabetic). However, her car is STILL being repaired by her 'Other half' 14 months after he bought it for her... that's a rant (and argument) for another day however.
I'll admit, I'll miss this place. Its quiet, relaxed and quite peaceful for the most part... I'd consider moving here is it wasn't 100+ miles to anything approaching a city. Where this some little village, nestled in the bosom of some English hills, I'd stay here...
But its not, and that's why I'm going back.
There's no decent motorway here, so getting to cities to buy those hard to get hold of items is a pain. Everything has to be shipped in here, meaning everything is expensive (even the food, unless you use a local butchers for all your meat). Almost every vehicle here is a diesel, so everything near the main roads gets covered in a fine layer of black shite. The waters unfiltered, so anything that uses water in its function (washer, shower, central heating etc) has to be maintained regularly, which costs a small fortune. The internet here is a joke, I'm using a wireless module that uses the mobile phones 3G network (which again, is expensive). There is NO wired broadband outside most 'urban area's'* here, and wont be until most of the major motorways are finished (I may have a job here when that happens though) in 5 years time.
Don't get me wrong, I DO like it here, I just couldn't live here full time.

I do have some gaming related news however. Last weekend my Mum dragged me kicking and screaming from my warm bed into a cold car (-4 Centigrade) at 7am to go to Newry, which is in the north of Ireland (Yep, my family here are in the glorious Republic of Ireland). It was a 3 hour trip. I was not impressed (although I did agree to do the trip which is why I wasn't arguing).
After my testicals where well and truly cryogenically frozen, and our mornings travel done, we went shopping in what is effectivelly "Great Britain". The reason we did this was fairly sensible, the Euro (€) and GBP () where on equal terms... €1 was worth 1, the first time that had happened in the 8 or so years since the Euro was legal tender.
In Euro-lands, everything is a damn sight more expensive when you compare them to the Pound (). My mum spent over €400 on groceries & general shopping to last a month, as well as buy in things they couldn't normally get hold of. After getting home and calculating it all up, they saved over €220 by travelling the 100 miles to Newry (minus €25 for Diesel in the car).
I went a wandering over to a few Games stores, taking notes on prices and games (new and used) and did some checking when I got back home (another 3 hours in a wieghed down motor. The suspension groaned the entire way, and I was sure it wouldn't last the trip back).

Anyway, here's what I found.
Playstation 3 (40 Gig) with Resistance 2 €450 / 350 (a saving of €100)
-Resistance & Resistance 2 €90 / 60 (€30 saving)
-Starwars: Force Unleashed €60 / 35 (€25 saving)
Xbox 360 (Premium unit w. 20 gig drive) no games €280 / 180 (w. 60 gig drive).

These where just a few that stood out, there where a lot more offerings for the budding gamer. Problem was, things where jumping off the shelves as over 1000 families had the same idea as us, and swept thought like a plague of locusts, snatching up any and all bargains. I saw all of the DS Final fantasy games (inc the new one) for about 60 in a bundle... and would have got it too had not some 8 year old who also spied it not tripped me up (little fecker) and snatched it off the shelf.
Where I an ROI gamer, who wanted to grab a console and a handful of games for under €500, that would have been the time to do it. With the price difference between 30 and 50%, and with games being between €50 and €65 here in the ROI (I have no idea is thats typical across the Euro zones) last weekend was deffinately the time to pick up a gaming rig (any brand or make).

If Sensational is reading and would like to give that small list a read over, and give his views, I'd apreciate it. Especial since it looks like the GBP made a recovery this week, and it'll be a while before the prices are that good again (for those planning on making the trip next time the Euro is on parity with the Pound).

I'd have added Fallout 3 to that list but couldn't find a copy in the North, turns out they only get a handful at the stores, and they get bought on the day they go on the shelves (found that out when a store assistant and I where trapped at the store, battling the mindless horde's of mothers looking for a Wii).

Oh, one other thing... what the feck is a Wiii3? A guy was trying to flog them out the back of a car (theres always one), and at first glace they DO look like a Wii. But I didn't see the Nintendo brand sticker anywhere, and walked on... but its bugging me now, just what the hell was he selling? It was in a box, and it DID look like a Wii box too... just with Wiii3 on the side. Anyone else seen one of these things?

Lets see, anything happen recently...
Oh yes, remember my 'First person shoe-ter' idea...
http://www.businesspundit.com/chines...-shoe-at-bush/
My genius knows no limits it seems.

Later.