11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 01-06-2009, 02:54 AM

Simman has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Simman Send a message via MSN to Simman Send a message via Skype™ to Simman
This might be easy to solve...
However I can't do it...

My old Hp won't boot. When I turn it on, after about 4 sec i get a warning:

Warning! Get System serviced Immediately!
CPU fan Not functional
Press f2 to continue boot...

I haven't done anything to it but clean it. And no, I didnt disconnect anything. I've checked through every single cable and plug. Everything is as it should be and only one cable is left...a Single 4 pin molex cable.

I'm worried that if I continue to boot my cpu chip will fry.

If anyone needs it, I can give you the specs of the system...My mom uses it to play a game called snood...fun little game.

And a last thing..its might be slightly funny....
The system never had a Cpu fan....It always ran nice and cool under a heatsink...
Old 01-06-2009, 05:33 AM
Enthusiast

rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community
It has to have a cooler of some kind. If it's passive cooling and there is no fan (just a set of fins), then you should be able to turn off the fan RPM warning in the bios (which is what you are seeing).

As long as it's run that way before, and you have the auto-shut down at x temperature turned on (usually defaulted to 80c), then it should be fine to disable the warning in bios.

Now... the how did something which was previously turned off in bios get turned on is the next troubling question. (The only real 'oh ok' answer to that is you recently updated your bios, which returns everything to the default settings. CPU fan RPM warning is on by default.)

Just a guess, but if it ran fine passively cooled... probably time to upgrade. (I had an old AMD 3500+ passively cooled back in the day, but it was pushing borderline 'hot' all the time, so I stopped doing that.)
Old 01-06-2009, 06:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to Simman Send a message via MSN to Simman Send a message via Skype™ to Simman
Nope...no upgrades. Its been internet free since 2006 ...maybe its time to update it?

I've never messed with bios, and I probably won't until I can pay for what I mess up. I'm only 16 and I don't have a job. I'll try to allow it to boot regularly and I'll put in a room fan just in case.

I'll comb though the bios tomorrow and see what might be out of place....I've never messed with one, but I've seen others do it...especially my cousin. He was overclocking alot of stuff about a year back. He got a 2.4 p4 all the way upto 3.83 just on fan cooling. I don't think thats possible, is it?

A last question....Auto shut-off comes with all computers right?
Old 01-06-2009, 09:28 PM
Enthusiast

rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simman View Post
He got a 2.4 p4 all the way upto 3.83 just on fan cooling. I don't think thats possible, is it?
Unlikely on all but liquid. That's like a 60% OC. You can only really go above 40% on liquid or freezing things. Air typically will cap around 30%.

Quote:
A last question....Auto shut-off comes with all computers right?
Defaulted to around 80c, yes. That's so things don't asplode.

Though why you are only now getting no fan warnings, while you didn't before, is still the question.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:26 AM

alright, I'll post the results 2morrow...its late here already...
Old 01-14-2009, 06:19 PM

xepherys has much to be proud of
My guess would be that your CMOS battery may be low and the fan warning on setting is a default. If you unplugged the PC to clean it out or move it, then the BIOS gets reset to factory defaults and BAM! There you have it. A nice, beautiful new warning message.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:44 PM

5150Reaper is community member of note
I learned some interesting stuff here . If this happened to my comp id be out of luck cause the BIOS locked on mine :/.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:56 PM

Locked via password? Usually this can also be "fixed" by removing the CMOS battery for a minute or two with no power to the PC, thereby resetting the BIOS to default.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:35 PM
Enthusiast

You may also need to move a jumper when you remove the battery to reset it. There should be directions for resetting the bios in the motherboard manual.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:56 PM

Nah, removing the battery supercedes the jumper. When batteries are not easily accessible, there is often a jumper that shorts it for the same effect as removing it. CMOS cannot store data without power, including passwords, date/time, system config (the the defaults are usually fine).