11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming Platforms > Sony (PSP, PS3)

Old 12-19-2008, 09:20 PM

jarrixi has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabb1t View Post
Many forget that Dreamcast launched right around $600 (I'm pretty sure on that figure). It failed because it was way too high of a price. $600 is a lot today, but it was even more back 12 years ago.
The Dreamcast launched a $299.99...

9/9/99 I was there for the DC and FFVIII
Old 12-19-2008, 10:56 PM
Enthusiast

tibbon is a paragon of the community tibbon is a paragon of the community tibbon is a paragon of the community tibbon is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to tibbon Send a message via Skype™ to tibbon
The Commodore 64 launched for $595 initially. That's around $1300 today to purchase the same console once you factor for inflation. It was one of the bets selling computers ever, selling over 30M units.

The Neo Geo launched in 1990 for $649 initially. I can't remember exactly how much the games cost, but if I remember right most of them were $100-200 each.

The PS3 is pretty cheap compared to either of these. Purely high cost doesn't kill the game system. If people buy them and the company profited then it will keep selling and do ok, and the company will profit and keep developing.

Need help? Post any bugs or issues in the Issues/Bugs Forum
imVOX Bug Tracker
imVOX Suggestions
Read the imVOX Blog
Old 12-20-2008, 03:40 AM
Infamous

Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabb1t View Post
Many forget that Dreamcast launched right around $600 (I'm pretty sure on that figure). It failed because it was way too high of a price. $600 is a lot today, but it was even more back 12 years ago.
Dreamcast failed due to lack of marketing strategy; something that Sony took advantage of with PS2 and is now dropping the ball on with PS3.

Go figure.

"[That] Coming from a guy who more or less spawn camps a web forum. . ." -- tekhedd
Old 12-21-2008, 08:48 PM
Enthusiast

rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrixi View Post
The Dreamcast launched a $299.99...
Odd. I always recall it being $600.

Quote:
9/9/99 I was there for the DC and FFVIII
Me too. Got in line for pre-orders only at like 7 to pick it up. I still have the launch T-shirt to prove it.

(Though for me it was Soul Calibur that threw me over the edge that I got at launch.)

I was supposed to be back at work shortly after 10, but didn't make it in till nearly noon. The boss was all mad and stuff, and I was like, "I told you I had a dentist appointment and might be in later in the morning if it ran long like a week ago." They suspected nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodou
Dreamcast failed due to lack of marketing strategy; something that Sony took advantage of with PS2 and is now dropping the ball on with PS3.
It's kind of odd that there was advertising before the PS3 launch, but post launch I really haven't seen any advertising. It is odd they aren't marketing it really at all. I think it's because so many exclusives have been lost and they haven't yet devised a way to soften the blow of the price tag. That and I think due to the strong online presence by all three, there isn't anything specifically PS3 they can tout anymore save for Blu-ray. (Which is still basically only a plus for those who are early adopters.)

Honestly though it would be a start if they at least started re-advertising the fact that it's Blu-ray capable and tossed in some packed in items. Maybe 1 game, 2 movies, an HDMI cable. That's like $125 worth of free stuff right there that wouldn't be a horrid price to Sony in order to greatly increase market saturation.
Old 12-25-2008, 03:37 AM

Skaboomatude has set foot on a distinguished road
I buy the system based on the games. 'Nuff said. not to say things won't pick up but they haven't had the best on the shelf for games. I say this as someone who has always loved my PS.

And on the hand held note- nintendo has kinda always cornered that market.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:16 PM
Savant

Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Hagan
Like most people have siad, I buy a console based off the games available, and up-coming that would grip me. I'd buy a PS3 now, but I'd only have maybe 5-6 games (and maybe 2 of them only because they came with the system when I bought it).

Honestly though, I'm going to wait till its got more content before considering buying one. Buy-ray is not a selling point for me, and lets face it until it becomes a requirement, it wont be.

It took too much to research and produce, took too much time, and cost too much initially (and its not like its cheap now either, just less expensive). I have a PC, an Xbox 360 and my (now rather battered) DS back off my brother (or rather my neice, depending on who you believe), so I'll live without a hi-def fix for now.

Its had a bad run, but lets face it, its not completely unexpected... it is a third instalment of a console range, it was bound to be a victim on the first two consoles success. Everyone was expecting the 'Jesus Console', the silicon messiah... and instead, we got the iPhone.

This is how I see historian's describing the product range in 20 years (especially if I'm one of them).
PS1: Revolutionary.
PS2: Amazing.
PS3: Had its good points, shame about the marketing.

Course, thats just me.